Bernardo Psychology - Educational and Child Psychologist
UK trained Educational and Child Psychologist;
providing an independent psychology service both in English and in Portuguese to
support children, young people, families, schools and communities.
I provide a consultation, assessment and
intervention service for children and young people aged between 0-25 promoting
resilience and well-being.
I am a member of both the British Psychology Society (220394) and the Ordem de Psicólogos Portugueses (020916) in Portugal. I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (PYL29816) and Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) checked. I gained my Doctorate in Educational, Child and Community Psychology from the Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust in London in 2013, since then I have worked for local authorities in London and outer London as well as the National Health System (NHS) UK in Child Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).
What I Offer:
I provide a respectful and high quality service that is sensitive to the individual needs of a child or young person. I provide a service to both parents and carers who are looking for ways forward, as well as a service to schools and organisations requesting psychology support. I offer services in areas including:
- Social, emotional & mental health
- Learning, attention & memory
- Social communication & language
- Bereavement, loss and & transition to a new country
Consultation aims to identify new and alternative understandings of a presenting concern in a collaborative and open way; involving children/young people; parents/carers, school staff and others as appropriate. This involves consulting with parents or carers and school colleagues to further explore the nature of concerns; eliciting further new insights that can help identify new perspectives and possible strategies.
Direct assessment with a child or young person following a consultation may involve; eliciting a child’s/young person’s views using either interview or other tools, observation of a child in his or her learning environment or direct individual work using standardised or non-standardised assessments. Information gained from the assessment is discussed in a follow up consultation to gain further formulation on the presenting concerns.
Schools & Organisations:
- Policy development and implementation of projects
- Staff training and workshop on areas regarding approaches to teaching and learning and areas concerning child development
- Critical incident support
- 1-1 interventions in schools for pupils and students such as therapeutic based sessions based on cognitive behaviour therapy and narrative therapy
- Group interventions for children and young people including Mindfulness in School Programme (Certified Mindfulness in Schools Programme teacher)
Parents & Carers:
- 1-1 therapeutic interventions for your child as appropriate
- Family consultancy sessions to improve family communication and relationships
- Specific interventions between
parent and child to develop attunement and communication
Please contact me by email to discuss your needs. A one-hour initial consultation meeting to develop a plan of work will be free of charge.