Dating from 1502, the church was built through the donation of Demetre de Coron and his wife Helen. The church is also known as Panagia Elousa (Our Lady of Mercy). Originally, it was a monastery church dedicated to St Eleanor. Later, it belonged to the Venetian family of Coro.
The wall paintings that decorate the church date from the Venetian period. Created by Simeon Axenti, their style betrays both Byzantine and Italian influences. They are an example of the strong influence that Western art exerted at that time on Cypriot decorative art.
The church is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The monastery functioned until the beginning of the 19th century but fell into decline and was finally abandoned after 1821.
Opening and closing times are subject to alterations. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.