Discover one week of India in Hamburg at the India Week Hamburg 2013, celebrating for the fifth times the good relationships between Hamburg and India. From 7 to 15 of September, the India Week will feature more than 50 events, delegations from India and prominent guests, giving visitors and residents a very special insight to India’s culture, business and people.
India today faces many challenges: Various institutions and organizations put together a programme that reflects the changes and the many facets of Indian development. Here are some of the highlights:
Visit a fashion show presenting organic clothes produced in India, listen to jazz concert where musicians from India and from Hamburg play together. Visitors are invited to watch great films from South India at the Metropolis, to a Holi Festival, readings, exhibitions and workshops.
One of the many trade, business and science events will reflect “India Market Entry and Cultivation Strategies for German »Mittelstand«”, another one “Indian Professionals and Demographic Change”. Maritim Economy in Hamburg and India will be a topic as well as traditional family values and the women’s role in Indian society.
Staatsrat Wolfgang Schmidt said at the presentation of the India week programm today: „Hamburg and India have had excellent relationships for decades, both in economic and trade terms as in politics, education, science and culture. The India Week Hamburg 2013 offers fascinating insights into the land and the current developments.
India’s Vice General Consul Dr. Vidhu P. Nair said: „The India Week Hamburg 2013 demonstrates the great affinity between Hamburg and India as two reliable partners – and a huge potential for co-operations in culture and education, economy and science, R&D and technology.”
More about India Week Hamburg 2013 at the India Week website
Source: India Week and Senate of the City of Hamburg press release
Did you know? Some facts about Hamburg and India:
- 3,253 persons of Indian nationality are living in Hamburg (end of 2012)
- 6 278 tourists from India visited Hamburg in 2012
- there has been a General Consulate of India in Hamburg since 1952
- there are 5 cricket clubs in Hamburg
- Hamburg’s trade with India dates back to the 16th century
- Hamburg-India trade today has a volume of 1.396 billion euro in 2012, thereof Hamburg imports are 769,4 milion Euro, Hamburg exports to India 616,3 million Euro
- there are 40 Indian companies in the metropolitan region of Hamburg
- 430 Hamburg companies are trading with India
Sources: Statistik Nord, India Week Hamburg 2013