Discussions

started by: Les Palmiers-381714 · last update: 1063634819 · posted: 1062751587

Chirac, in his election campaign last year, said that he would slash income tax by 30% between 2002 and 2006 . Yesterday, Rafarin "slashed" the rate by a full 3% amid criticism from the EU, he missed a nought there didnt he?? If not, he has 27% to go in three years, I'm not convinced he's going to make it . . . . . . . . . . . .   regards,Les

started by: Adrian-381872 · last update: 1063527441 · posted: 1063476399

I am thinking of importing my old car to France, it is reliable runner (diesel) but it is not worth much, maybe £300. I plan to use it for the summer months (approx. 5 months). I intend to store it off road during the winter months on our property. Can anyone answer the following points? How complicated is it to import a car How do I contact, and does it have to be in person or can it be by correspondence Cost of the import Will it need to have the equivalent of a MOT on import and what is the cost of it (I believe this done every two years?). What sort of checks are done? I understand there is no road tax, but are there any other hidden fees to be paid I will require insurance, but only for 6 months whilst in use and to the equivalent of 3rd party. Any suggestions? I will still keep my other car in the UK for commuting, and therefore will have used all my no claims bonus; so do the French insurance system have a no claims bonuses and how does it work. I do not intend to return this car back to the UK. Sorry for the list but I thought this way I can clear and concise information to act upon. Adrian Adrian

started by: Suse-382083 · last update: 1063396587 · posted: 1063112678

Hello all, I am moving back to Brittany next year with my Breton husband and 2 young children and am looking for some insider info on the two schools in Rennes that offer bilingual sections for English-speaking kids. They are the Ecole Jean Moulin in Villejean and the catholic Ecole La Palestine near the Thabor. I'd just like to know if anyone has kids at either of these schools and/or knows anything about the quality of education offered and number of English-speaking kids in each year group. A very specific question I know, but I hope someone knows something!

started by: dino-382060 · last update: 1063382005 · posted: 1063217621

has anyone had this problem???????? You are suppose to have health insurance before applying for the carte de sejour, but AXA insurance won't give me health insurance until i have a social security number, which i can't get until i have a carte de sejour. Talk about going round in circles! Can anyone advise how you get around this problem? Dino 

started by: george-381909 · last update: 1063184635 · posted: 1063033110

Hi all Please can anyone help????????? I have heard alot about carte de sejour, some people say you must have it after 3 months others have lived here 2 years and haven't got it. I understand the mayor can get quiet horrible if you haven't applied for it. Can anyone advise me how i go about it Dino   Be Happy

started by: freddynou · last update: 1063031754 · posted: 1056754935

Help please, Everyone tells me that to get big rents even in Bretagne its good to get a swimming pool put in. I know nothing about a pool and the more I ask the more i am confused. Should it be tiled, plastic or with liner, what about flat or with a curve? Filters and water treeting ,   what is the best? And heating do we need it and if so what sort?   Does any of you have some suggestions please? thanks dutch freddy better late than never . . . . . .

started by: Paul-381900 · last update: 1062956289 · posted: 1060077575

Rumour has it  that the BBc free to air cards are going to be scrapped and that the only way you are going to get Ch4,5 ITV and any other commercial channels is via a Sky package, a tad difficult if you are "overseas" as they demand you connect your box to the local telephone line so they can monitor you. Anybody got any ideas? Paul

started by: Pat Cooke · last update: 1062879587 · posted: 1062875750

Does anyone know if France Telecom has the equivilant to BT's 1471. Thanks Pat

started by: Crystalflute · last update: 1062870977 · posted: 1062870977

started by: Tink-381737 · last update: 1062764713 · posted: 1062630575

Hi all, We have a beast of a fire place in the middle of the room and this will be our first winter in this house. We do have electrical heaters but would like to use the fireplace to heat the house as much as possible. A few tips on the use and what to look for would be appreciated. What defines good quality wood? What kind of wood is best? Would it be better to store it inside? We have a garage/cellar running under the house so plenty of room. What's the best way to build a fire? Can anyone recommend someone who sells a good quality of wood in the Dinan area? Thanks in advance! -- Tink (22)

started by: Carole-381843 · last update: 1062615048 · posted: 1062595812

Does anyone know of a download that would change the language from French to English?  AOL suggested one, but when I contacted that website they didn't have a clue why aol had suggested them.  Any other tips greatly appreciated.

started by: Bald Eagle-381831 · last update: 1062613232 · posted: 1062323441

I am not a keen gardener and it is my wife who has prepared part of our garden for seeding as a lawn in October when we return to England for a while. The query is:- Does anyone have any tips for spreading the seed equally rather than in clumps?

started by: george north · last update: 1062603659 · posted: 1061139058

We are considering living full time at our second home in France but have loads of questions, I see that angloinfo seems to have a lot of them answered ! One question though, can anyone recommend removal companies for moving to France, we are coming to the area just below Rennes and dont know where to start asking for quotes, or know how much is reasonable to move us from Basingstoke. Living in France is going to be a challenge, we can see the advantages, but what are the disadvantages and the things you really miss? Thanks, George  

started by: Thomas-382062 · last update: 1062598294 · posted: 1062598294

I own a french farmhouse and live in the south of france. I would like to convert the barn into a gite. I have been told I may be able to apply for a grant towards the cost. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to go about doing this

started by: Carole-381843 · last update: 1062428518 · posted: 1062426489

Does anyone know the number of the international operator in France? I need to make a reverse charge call to UK and need to do this via the international operator.  Thanks for any replies.

started by: Sandra-382054 · last update: 1062419890 · posted: 1062418692

This might be a silly question, but I've just driven my car to get new car tax.  As it expires end Aug 03, have I just committed an offence to drive the car, even if it was to get the new tax?  I am concerned as a traffic warden was checking cars where I was parked in a car park and I'm not sure whether he took note of my vehicle with it showing that the tax has expired by half a day!  Thanks for any comments. Sandra

started by: Mystic-382049 · last update: 1062410869 · posted: 1062343827

Does anyone know of a keyholding/cleaning/caretaker company in Dept.35?  I've looked through French Property News endlessly looking for someone in the 35 area, but never see any advertised.  I have a place in a sizeable town, not a village or hamlet, so popping along to the Mairie might not be an option...or am I wrong?

started by: osarisanhur · last update: 1062035038 · posted: 1061941008

Hi We are looking to move Brittany and are trying to find out some information before making a final decision. We have 4 kids the oldest is 15 and disabled. He attends a special needs school in Britain and leaves next year. The government will pay for him to attend college on life skill and work courses until he's 23 so long as he continues to learn. Then there are a number of places he can go on to. We have no idea how much progress he will make other the next few years but he is still learning and surprising us. Until last year he was unable to write. We would like to know what facillites we would find for him in France. Thank you  

started by: Suffolk Vagabond-381760 · last update: 1061636338 · posted: 1061593632

Just returned from 2 weeks hot! work/hol in central Cotes d'Amor. Arrived after long hot drive hoping to plunge into newly installed shower to find - no eau! Local guy arrived next pm and did not leave until problem solved ( a faulty valve at bottom of well) and did not charge a fortune! Wine guzzling could now commence with gusto. However in trying to wash red stains off clothes found that English washing machine with converted fittings overheated the water and would not rotate on 1/2 wash yet spins when manually adjusted. We have 9KW power supply (only small fridge was on at time) on options Heures Creuses. Is it the machine which might not have survived the crossing (in the back of my transit) or the power system ici? Also on last few days loos did not empty as normal and rose dangerously close to brim. We have an old farm house with septic tank - I don't know size. House has stood empty for 8 yrs- smells a little near inspection chamber and looks unsavoury. Have put down organism reagitater and natural cleanses. Should I get emptied and start again? Lastly, sorry to be long-winded, how do I go about getting well-water (apparently it is a source) tested for drinking quality? Any advice will be gratefully received. Le Chemineau

started by: SALLY MOORE-381897 · last update: 1061425584 · posted: 1061397334

Can anyone tell me how to find out who owns a house? I have seen a derelict house that I would be interested in buying but it is not advertised for sale and I would like to contact the owners to see if they are interested in selling but I have to find them first......... Sally Moore

started by:

Login