Discussions

started by: Mystic-382049 · last update: 1062410869 · posted: 1062343827

Does anyone know of a keyholding/cleaning/caretaker company in Dept.35?  I've looked through French Property News endlessly looking for someone in the 35 area, but never see any advertised.  I have a place in a sizeable town, not a village or hamlet, so popping along to the Mairie might not be an option...or am I wrong?

started by: osarisanhur · last update: 1062035038 · posted: 1061941008

Hi We are looking to move Brittany and are trying to find out some information before making a final decision. We have 4 kids the oldest is 15 and disabled. He attends a special needs school in Britain and leaves next year. The government will pay for him to attend college on life skill and work courses until he's 23 so long as he continues to learn. Then there are a number of places he can go on to. We have no idea how much progress he will make other the next few years but he is still learning and surprising us. Until last year he was unable to write. We would like to know what facillites we would find for him in France. Thank you  

started by: Suffolk Vagabond-381760 · last update: 1061636338 · posted: 1061593632

Just returned from 2 weeks hot! work/hol in central Cotes d'Amor. Arrived after long hot drive hoping to plunge into newly installed shower to find - no eau! Local guy arrived next pm and did not leave until problem solved ( a faulty valve at bottom of well) and did not charge a fortune! Wine guzzling could now commence with gusto. However in trying to wash red stains off clothes found that English washing machine with converted fittings overheated the water and would not rotate on 1/2 wash yet spins when manually adjusted. We have 9KW power supply (only small fridge was on at time) on options Heures Creuses. Is it the machine which might not have survived the crossing (in the back of my transit) or the power system ici? Also on last few days loos did not empty as normal and rose dangerously close to brim. We have an old farm house with septic tank - I don't know size. House has stood empty for 8 yrs- smells a little near inspection chamber and looks unsavoury. Have put down organism reagitater and natural cleanses. Should I get emptied and start again? Lastly, sorry to be long-winded, how do I go about getting well-water (apparently it is a source) tested for drinking quality? Any advice will be gratefully received. Le Chemineau

started by: SALLY MOORE-381897 · last update: 1061425584 · posted: 1061397334

Can anyone tell me how to find out who owns a house? I have seen a derelict house that I would be interested in buying but it is not advertised for sale and I would like to contact the owners to see if they are interested in selling but I have to find them first......... Sally Moore

started by: byron summers · last update: 1061381021 · posted: 1061241536

I have recently bought a property to renovate near mael carhaix and am looking for a static caravan to site there untill completed, can anybody help me in locating a cheap van!!!    thanks   byron Byron

started by: dfirons · last update: 1061333870 · posted: 1060785029

I have just purchased a property near ploermel (56) and now have to get down to the work of renovation. I would like to go and see the Marie to find out what planning permission etc I would need. Does anyone know if you can just turn up at his office or do you need to make an appointment? I am returning to France in the Autumn but would like to sort this out before I leave. Also where could i find out about getting childern registered for a school, Do you have to be living/working their firsts or can this be sorted out before hand?  

started by: Pam Morton-381801 · last update: 1061322492 · posted: 1060946370

Hi everyone,     Just in case no-one else heard it, they said on BBC radio news this morning that Windows is going to be subect to attack by a worm which could be nasty.  Also a friend rang me from the U.K. to say run my Norton Anti Virus there and then.   Sounds as if it is a nasty one - haven't some people got better things to do?                                  Cheers,       Pam

started by: Les Palmiers-381714 · last update: 1061137135 · posted: 1061137135

As the last really dry summer of 1976 caused a lot of structural damage to stone properties in Brittany, with the shrinkage of the clay underneath, I am interested to know if anyone has any new subsidence cracks this year? Also, if you have a well, how deep is it and how much water do you have left? at what depth? and where are you? Thank you for satisfying my curiosity !   regards,Les

started by: CarolLouise · last update: 1060865555 · posted: 1060862465

Can anyone tell me if Broadband is available in France or more specfically in Brittany? Carol Louise

started by: Adrian-381872 · last update: 1060788196 · posted: 1059158047

We have an old farmhouse with a number of outbuildings. I wish to put some velux windows into the main house roof afetr I have repaired it– what level of planning permission do I need? If I wish to put a single storey utility building (less than 20m2 ) attach to my main house what level of planning & building regulations are needed? Also I have an agricultural building, I wish again to install velux windows into the roof and use part of it for domestic use. What are the likely costs & pitfalls? Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Adrian

started by: Carole-381843 · last update: 1060439836 · posted: 1060204395

Hi Having just moved to Brittany, I have tried to load up AOL 7.0 but seem to be unable to get connected. Does anyone know if you have to delete AOL 6.0 first before trying the AOL 7.0?  Feel lost without free use of the internet, if anyone has any other suggestions for other usage I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks

started by: Deirdre-381935 · last update: 1060158200 · posted: 1060158200

I work in the Emirates (will be here for another few years) and am looking for semi-autonomous retirement homes/residences in Brittany for my parents. They are now in their early eighties, live by themselves in the Herault and unfortunately, although they love France, they do not speak much French. I am looking for homes that may accept anglophones and wonder if anyone could possibly give me some leads. Thanking you.

started by: Glyn-381810 · last update: 1059951133 · posted: 1059899206

Hello everybody out there...... I am looking for some large tables preferrably round ones which can seat 8 people. Condition is not a concern as they will be covered by large table cloth just as long as they do not collapse. Does anyone know where I can either hire this sort of thing or possibly buy at a really good price. I need 3 of theses plus the chairs to go with them. thanks for any help

started by: Carol and Frank · last update: 1059815923 · posted: 1059686046

I have seen and heard (mostly on TV) that there are grants availabl for renovations. Am I right in thinking these are only given for properties which will be used as gites? Carol

started by: bob-381779 · last update: 1059726480 · posted: 1059121345

When I moved to France, we still had the good old franc and, at the time, an exchange of about ten to one. Simply put, lop off a zero and you had pounds, easy therefore to see if something was value or not. Since the Euro arrived, I have tried to view the price in Euros only and get used to it . . . . . however . . . . Everything looks expensive to me, because it looks like pounds but more so !! Food and essentials, I dont look anymore, but for "extras" or sale bargains I need to know that something really is cheaper. I actually find, that since the Euro I buy less because nothing looks "a bargain" any more . . . . . . . what do you think?   my best regards,Bob

started by: Crystalflute · last update: 1059581658 · posted: 1058281804

Okay, we've finally bought the house and have spent a lovely week en Bretagne without the kids.  Ah, I remember what it was like before kids.... Unfortunately, now we are back to reality and I (oh, lucky, lucky me) am travelling back to Brittany with the kids next week.  The kids are very excited because it will be their first trip to the new house and it has stairs!!! (We live in a bungalow here in the UK.)  So here is the first in a continuing series of questions. 1)  Please can someone tell me what the deal is on garbage collection.  I went to the Mairie's office and I think I will be getting a poubelle which is fine and dandy (it should be in front of my gate when we return next week) but I am not sure they are bringing it to me or I have to pick it up and if I have to pick it up from where? 2) Still on the garbage question...when we arrived we had a few things to bring and also to buy which has left us with some rather bulky garbage - boxes, etc.  I understand there is some sort of Saturday a.m. arrangement but I'm not sure of the whereabouts or the details so any help here would be appreciated.  Also, the garden has become overgrown and we will need to cart the grass away as it has been too dry to burn (it's almost like being back in Canada) so where do we take it? 3)  I am going to have my 4 (yes 4) horrible children with me and they are already cross because I'm not bringing their bikes.  I need to know where I might be able to buy 4 second hand (very cheap) bikes for kids aged 12, 9, 7 and 6.  I don't actually want them to have bikes initially since they aren't used to busy roads and drivers who drive on the left.  I thought I could get away with scooters to start with and work my way up but kids are crafty these days so I don't think it would work for long. 4)  The next thing of course, is are there english-language dvd's available?  If so, from where or how much or can you rent them or any info really?   5)  Finally, (I think), I am bringing my computer with me (internet ready of course) but need to know about the computer leads and an internet connection lead (where you plug it into the phone jack and link your computer to it).  Do they have these in France and if so, what are they called.   My learning curve is dramatically rising.  My French has improved amazingly and I have to say, I was totally chuffed when an older French gentleman said in French that my French was 'very good for an Anglaise'.  I hope my kids pick it up quickly 'cause it's no fun being the only one in the family that speaks French.   Thanks for all your help. 

started by: Vonny-381712 · last update: 1058895857 · posted: 1058817963

Hello, Does anyone have a wonderful SANGRIA recipe that I can make for a party on Saturday?  All versions welcome! For about 35 people Thank you!

started by: Vonny-381712 · last update: 1058839611 · posted: 1058818539

This is for my sister who is seriously thinking of moving to France, not to where I am in the South, but possibly Brittany or Loire. She has a twelve year old daughter and I wondered if anybody could give me their personal experience of uprooting a near teenager, the problems, the surprises, etc. etc. I have my own opinions, but would be glad to pass any other views on to her to give her some food for thought. Thanks in advance!

started by: dancer-381717 · last update: 1058709063 · posted: 1057144409

why, in France, is it up to the Prefect to decide when shops can have their sales? surely that's a straightforward commercial decision for the shopkeeper to make and none of the govt's business? seriously confused - and I really would like an answer if you've got one. I'm not just whingeing  :)

started by: Tink-381737 · last update: 1058708626 · posted: 1058634655

Last week I posted a message that we were looking for an accountant. Bob replied to my message and gave the an address to contact. I immediately wrote and email to ask for an appointment and when they didn't reply to that I gave them a call and asked the receptionist for an appointment. She told me she would pass on the message and someone would contact me. Up till now no-one has. This has happened to us before (not with the same company) and we waited and waited but no reply. Can I asume they do not want our business and look have to look elswehere? Maybe we're spoiled being used to American customer service and courtesy. My experience up till now has been that companies love to make money and have you as a client. This kind of ignoring the customer is new to me and I wonder what to do. So what would you do? -- Tink (22)

started by:

Login