The British School of Brussels (BSB)
International School for children from age 1-18 years. British Curriculum, Bilingual French/English programme for ages 4-14 years. Only school in Belgium to offer A Levels, IB Diploma & BTEC. 1,350 students, 70 nationalities.
At the heart of Europe, The British School of Brussels offers a supportive, inclusive learning environment for over 1,300 students from more than 60 countries. Founded in 1969 and opened in 1970 by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, our School offers a modern, progressive education that inspires students, encourages achievement and emphasises personal growth and development.
We prepare our students for the challenges of today and the possibilities of tomorrow, with an international outlook thats truly global in size and scope.
Our campus consists of a beautiful 10-hectare site surrounded by woodlands and lakes, with the Royal Museum for Central Africa nearby. We are a 20-minute drive from the cities of Brussels and Leuven, with all the transport links they provide.
Our School is diverse and multicultural. We welcome people of every nation. Students from more than 60 nationalities study here, with a bilingual French-English programme available starting in Primary School. Secondary School students have the opportunity to study a wider range of languages, from German to Russian.
Students grow and develop within a supportive, familial environment that emphasises the value of both independent study and teamwork. We offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities and encourage all our students to value the importance of an active lifestyle. We also have an experienced pastoral team who provide world class care, guidance and support to students and their families.
We offer a British-based curriculum to students from 3-16 years of age which culminates in (I) GCSEs, adapted to our European context and international student body. At ages 16-18, senior students are given the choice of following two internationally recognised pre-university examination courses: the English A Level and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. We also offer a range of vocational courses including the BTEC.
Philosophy & Objectives
- Welcoming and caring
- Working together to challenge everyone to achieve their academic and personal potential
- Inspiring an on-going desire to broaden minds and horizons
- Nurturing global awareness and realising success.
Here’s how we’re different
- We’re the only school in Belgium that offers A Levels and the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma with a wide choice of subjects.
- We’re the only school in Belgium to offer vocational courses, such as the English BTEC.
- We’re the only school in Belgium to include Design & Technology, Textiles, Food & Nutrition, Film, Media Studies and Sociology in our curriculum.
- We were the first international school in Belgium to introduce a bilingual French/English stream alongside our English curriculum from the age of four.
- We consistently achieve positive value-added scores with the results of our external examinations at 16 and 18 - often the best in Belgium.
- Our students achieve offers from the top universities in the world, including Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard and MIT.
- Our students have set up their own charity, “Best of Both”, which works in partnership with four primary schools in Northern Ghana.