started by: Malcolm · last update: 1461246693 · posted: 1461246693

This is an interesting article about the worst tap water in the country. I wonder if it means just the city of Alicante or, by extension, the surrounding areas too?http://www.expatica.com/es/about/Best-and-worst-cities-for-potable-drinking-water-in-Spain_565059.html

started by: European Team · last update: 1454869464 · posted: 1447722042

We would like to warn newcomers, buyers or renters, that in the Comunidad Valenciana, one still can burn in open air. This means that too many days we are in total pollution! You can't even open a window or go outside! There are norms and regulations but where we live in Alfaz del Pi/Albir no one respects them and the Police doesn't care because it's an ancestral habit! So, if you want to come to the Costa Blanca (blanca means white, like the smoke of the bomfires) and enjoy healthy air please check first if they don(t burn in the town you've chosen.

started by: brian1042 · last update: 1450662772 · posted: 1450662772

Hello Everyone. Forgive me if this has been answered previously. I did search (perhaps badly) but I cannot find answers to these very specific questions that are recent. Reasonably, the answers are generic, or they are specific about tablets that I do not take, or they are quite old. I take the following drugs. Metformin       500mg             4          2 x 500mg standard morning; 2 x 500mg SR, evening Simvastatin     20mg               1 Rivaroxaban   20mg               1 Verapamil        120mg             1 Omeprazol      20mg               2 Gliclazide        80 mg              1 In the medium to long term I shall sort out getting into the Spanish system, making payments and so on. I have all the documentation on that and am happy to go through the process. I also will take supplies from the UK to cover perhaps two months, so I have that covered. I realise people may tell me I will get into the system etc, so not to worry, but please indulge me on the questions I have asked. I would very much appreciate answers specific to these. Q1. In case there is a possible gap between my UK supplies and getting in the Spanish system, can anyone please give me current prices for these particular items (or perhaps some, like the metformin) if I just bought them over the counter? Q2. I have read that in the short term I could go to a doctor with my EHIC and get a prescription (based on showing the UK one) and that would be cheaper. Has anyone has success with this? I wold like to emphasise that I m not trying to cheat the UK or Spanish systems. I just want to make sure I can cover any potential gap with a soirt-run solution. Thank you in advance.    

started by: WendyM-901368 · last update: 1449427784 · posted: 1449397670

Can anyone help me please? I'm staying just north of Valencia while house hunting and I seem to have developed an abscess on my face - not tooth abcsess but skin abscess. Couldn't be worse timing on the Sunday of a bank holiday weekend! I'm told everything is closed until Wednesday but I don't think it should wait that long. Can anyone advise me whether it would be acceptable to go to the hospital or whether I should try and find a doctor. Spain is very new to me and I haven't had time to find out those things yet.

started by: poshaze · last update: 1448383149 · posted: 1448383149

Hi can anyone help many thanks hazel I am new to the area and cannot find a posiatrist

started by: Pepe la Pugh · last update: 1447169246 · posted: 1447169246

Has my one any knowledge of transferring medical files back to the UK.  Is it something the doctor/ hospital will automatically do or do you have to rely on paperwork already in your possession. .  Thanks in anticipation 

started by: MichelleR1 · last update: 1445887890 · posted: 1442934061

British Embassy Press Release Nationwide cooperation agreement signed with British Embassy British people living in Spain will have easier access to the services and support of the Red Cross thanks to a nationwide cooperation agreement signed by the British Ambassador, Simon Manley, and the national vice president of the Spanish Red Cross, Javier Gimeno.  The new agreement aims to improve the quality of life for the most vulnerable expatriates, and their ability to access Red Cross services. It also seeks to encourage people in the British community to volunteer for Red Cross activities and promote collaboration with other British community associations.  The partnership, which was signed on Monday 21 September at the headquarters of the Red Cross, will be piloted in the province of Alicante, which has a large British community. The aim is then to extend it nationwide, enabling British communities across Spain to access Red Cross services and become involved in their projects.  Simon Manley said:  “People in the British communities have a wealth of experience and skills, and I really hope that this new partnership with the Red Cross will encourage more people to volunteer their talents and support for the benefit of others. “The agreement will also help to ensure that British expats in the Alicante region have easier access to the wide range of Red Cross resources, which can improve their quality of life.” Javier Gimeno added: "We have identified a large number of British people in our province who, because of their age and health, may require Red Cross services such as adapted transport, accompaniment and home telecare. Our aims are to inspire members of the British community to volunteer for the Red Cross and to encourage those who require assistance to take advantage of our services." Pamela Twissel-Cross, welfare officer for the Royal British Legion, who attended the signing, commented: “I’m really looking forward to working more closely with the Red Cross as it will give me a chance to help British nationals get additional support. “It will also be a chance to learn and find out more about what is available so that together we can support the most vulnerable.” The signing ceremony was attended by representatives of a large number of English language associations in the province of Alicante including: Age Concern Costa Blanca Sur, the Royal British Legion, the Samaritans, the Royal Airforce Association, Help at Home, International Residents Daya Nueva, AFA Torrevieja, MABS Cancer Support, Help at Home Mar Menor, and the HELP groups in Denia, Benidorm, Jalón Valley, Vega Baja and Mar Menor.

started by: MichelleR1 · last update: 1444309033 · posted: 1444309033

British Embassy News Release: The Foreign Office is offering detailed advice to British citizens living in Spain on how to prepare for visits by friends or family members who have mental health issues.  The advice stems from a joint campaign with the UK’s Mental Health Foundation that aims to raise awareness of how British nationals with mental health needs can prepare before travelling overseas, and is part of World Mental Health Day on 10 October. British Consulates in Spain handled 67 cases involving mental health needs in 2014/15.    Will Middleton, Consular Regional Director for Spain, said:  “Staff at our consulates in Spain are seeing more cases involving mental health.  A deterioration in mental health whilst visiting a foreign country can cause considerable distress, both to the person concerned and to family and friends in Spain, as well as back in the UK.  “So if you have a guest who has mental health needs, do take some simple steps to help ensure their visit is trouble-free and enjoyable for all concerned.”  If you are hosting a friend or family member with a mental health condition, you can: . Ask if your visitor has taken out travel insurance and whether the policy covers any pre-existing mental health conditions, and has a valid European Health Insurance Card (visit www.ehic.org.uk for more information) . If the visitor is on medication, check what they are taking and the normal dosage, and ask them to bring enough for their visit plus some extra to cover any unexpected delays . Whilst they are with you, encourage your visitor to continue to take their medication even if – as sometimes happens – they are feeling better because they are on holiday . Be aware that English language help for people with mental health issues may be limited in your area and that the approach of health authorities may be different to the UK. You may want to find out what support is available locally, in case you need it . Consider who you would contact if your guest’s mental health deteriorates while in Spain, and ensure you can contact them in an emergency . Make sure your own passport is valid and in a safe place, in case you need to travel in an emergency Jenny Edwards, chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, said:  “Many people in the UK with mental health conditions manage them well day to day. However, there are a few extra things to consider when travelling abroad. Check your travel insurance covers pre-existing mental health conditions before travelling and make sure that your medication is legal, available, and sufficient for your trip.  “Changes to your itinerary or a delayed flight could impact your mental health needs so it is important to travel prepared – pack medication in your hand luggage and keep a record of your mental health contacts in the UK in case you need to reach them. Research your travel destination and locate the local mental health services for that country. By following these simple steps, a relaxing trip can be easily enjoyed.”  For more information about foreign travel and mental health, visit www.gov.uk/fco/mental-health-abroad.  You can also view the FCO ‘Mental Health: Travelling Abroad’ leaflet and travel checklist on www.gov.uk.

started by: Geminisally · last update: 1442332514 · posted: 1438581423

we have a house in France and property in Spain we come to Spain for six months in winter.  My husband has to go in for a day operation for kidney stones in France 24 August usually they want to see you after six weeks.  we are resident in France can he have his check up in Spain as we have to be down in Spain at least the second week of September.

started by: Glycine-957814 · last update: 1440069155 · posted: 1436858971

Hello. Can anyone recomend a Nusing care agency who covers the Moraira area? Thanks. Claire.

started by: brucesarn-113877 · last update: 1439307879 · posted: 1439307879

Hello, we are to make application for residencia next month but are unsure as to whether the authorities will accept private health cover with 'co-payments' or must it be a full policy - thankfully there is not a massive difference in price but the co-payments are so cheap, and we visit a doctor once a year tops it seems the way to go.  We live in Orba so Denia will be the regional office we would make application to.   Thank you,   Bruce

started by: Glycine-957814 · last update: 1436715038 · posted: 1436515209

Does anyone know of an english speaking Physiotherapist in the Moraira area who does home treatment.? My father is due to come out of hospital, after 6 weeks of lying has lost a lot of muscle tone  and can't stand,so I need someone tohelp me build his muscles up and get him walking again.   Thanks in advance.   Claire

started by: nitramnasus-567637 · last update: 1431371842 · posted: 1431087499

Can anyone please tell me exactly what cover is included in the basic healthcare system in Spain - without taking additional top-up insurance? For example, do you have to pay for an appointment to see a doctor (obviouslyonce registered)? If you are admitted to hospital, what cover do you have? How many days and do you get a private room? Is surgery covered?  If you require xrays or a scan, do you have to pay?etc. etc. Hope someone can shed some light for us.Thanks Sue 

started by: Sunseeker-955286 · last update: 1427207645 · posted: 1415756904

My wife and I are planning to come to Spain in about 2-3 months. We are from America and would like to retire in Spain. Since we're not from the EU does anyone know if we can apply for Spanish healthcare or do we need to get our own ?? When we lived in France years ago we had the Health care card .                                                                    Thanks    

started by: billi161-495326 · last update: 1427207193 · posted: 1418298436

we are shortly coming to long term let in denia.as we dont want to join spanish health system can anyone recomend an english speaking gp and with regard to medical issues we would be interested to hear of anyones private medical/insurance experiences

started by: jscpch-588500 · last update: 1422435012 · posted: 1421421664

Getting a bit long in the tooth and probably won't be long before I have to get some dentures. Can anyone advise a good dentist to see in the Moraira/Javea/Calpe areas and what sort of charges I am likely to have to pay.

started by: Airyfairy · last update: 1421841430 · posted: 1421841430

Hi All, After living in France for over 10 years, I am finally discovering Spain (by means of a house-sitting assignment). There are many great aspects to Spain, its culture, people and weather. One of the things that strikes me is the relative great value of vegetable and fruit here compared to neighbouring France, it is SO much cheaper here! Is anyone else taking advantage of this to juice? I juice all sorts and have done for years. My favourite is spinach, fresh ginger and apple but the permutations are endless and health benefits considerable. If anyone is interested I have a couple of discount codes for a great little UK based company:   www.ukjuicers.com   OMEGA10 and KUV10 which will give 10% discount on the the following pages.   http://www.ukjuicers.com/omega http://www.ukjuicers.com/kuvings   They deliver all over Europe, usually within 48 hours and whenever I have used them the service has been second to none.  

started by: MichelleR1 · last update: 1412676474 · posted: 1412676474

Press Release from the Healthcare Team, British Consulates Madrid and Alicante:  Think healthcare when moving to Spain - or it could cost you time, worry and money, warns new video  Living in Spain without having thought about how you will look after your future health could cost you time, worry and money, warns the Department of Health in a new video about the importance of registering for healthcare. Britons coming to Spain to live permanently, as well as those who have recently arrived, must register properly with the Spanish authorities to ensure they are fully protected by the country’s state health system. But many expatriate Britons don’t get round to it and, as Mr Thomson finds out in the video “Moving to Spain? Think about Healthcare!”, this adds worry to illness or injury and, in the worst cases, can result in big bills.  Even Britons in Spain who do think about healthcare then sometimes fail to finish the job. Last year 7,888 Britons received healthcare forms from the UK but didn’t then register with the authorities in Spain.  A lady from Gandia in Valencia now faces a large bill after being treated for cancer. It is estimated there could be up-to 20,000 UK state pensioners who have not registered correctly for healthcare in Spain.   The new video points people in the right direction. Hannah Thronicker, head of the Department of Health team in Spain, says,  “If there is one thing you must do when moving to Spain, or anywhere else abroad, it is to make sure you are covered for healthcare.   “And if you are already resident in Spain but haven’t yet registered, the video is a must-see. Get registered – don’t wait until you’re ill.”  Britons living in Spain are encouraged to share the video as widely as possible with friends and family who are living in or thinking of moving to a place in the Spanish sun.   You can share the video via Facebook, or through Twitter using the hashtag #healthcarevideolaunch and #movingtoSpain. Alternatively you can embed it in a website or include it in an email or blog.   Further information on accessing healthcare in Spain can be found at www.healthcareinspain.eu or at https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-in-spain .    Video is produced by the Healthcare Team, British Consulates Madrid and Alicante.  How to view the video: Use this link http://bit.ly/1tk9lhz , or go to www.youtube.com and search for “Moving to Spain? Think about Healthcare!”.

started by: Willemite · last update: 1402423648 · posted: 1383598471

Hello We use our local Spanish Medical Centre where I have found the GP not at all friendly, can we change to another in the local area?  Thank you

started by: MichelleR1 · last update: 1399920009 · posted: 1399920009

British Embassy Press Release: New video “Using your EHIC in Spain” aims to help visitors to Spain and their expatriate hosts Visiting Spain without proper healthcare cover could cost you time, worry and even ruin your holiday if you end up with big medical bills.  That’s the message to holidaymakers and expatriates who have friends and families visiting them this summer. The British Embassy’s Healthcare Team regularly has to help Britons in hospital without the correct cover.  In 2013, over 2,000 British holidaymakers found themselves in a public hospital in Spain and having to apply for a temporary replacement for their European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC), adding stress and frustration to urgent medical treatment.  If you are coming to Spain for a holiday or temporary stay, a valid EHIC will save you time and expense. Now “Using your EHIC in Spain”, a short video from the Embassy’s Healthcare Team, will help you understand where and how to use it.  The video also stresses the importance of travel insurance. The Healthcare Team assists many more Brits who end up in private hospitals without travel insurance and facing medical bills of thousands of pounds. Private care is not covered by an EHIC, nor reimbursed by the National Health Service.  One holidaymaker describes how travelling without an EHIC added distress to illness: “Last year I ended up in the local public hospital in Marbella with no EHIC. While I was being treated, I had to arrange for cover to be faxed over from the UK. In the end it took days because my name was misspelled by admissions and they did not link the replacement cover to me. It was awful having all that added stress, plus doing it all in Spanish, when I felt so poorly.”  But an EHIC only covers state healthcare, not private medical costs. Another traveller explains how he was caught out with no travel insurance: “When I started feeling dizzy, the hotel called for an ambulance. I was taken to a nearby hospital where I was kept in overnight. When I went to check out there was a €1,923 bill waiting for me. I had been treated in a private hospital without knowing it. Having no private insurance cover, I had to pay. That was pretty much the end of my holiday.”  Jane Ellison, Public Health Minister said: “If you live in the UK, you are entitled to a free European Health Insurance card which gives you access to healthcare when travelling in Europe. If you fall ill and aren’t properly covered, you may have to pay.  “This video gives important information about why you need a valid EHIC and travel insurance when visiting other European countries, and how to use the EHIC card should you need it.”  You can find the video here, or on YouTube by searching “Using your EHIC in Spain”.  You can also find the video and get more information on EHICs at www.healthcareinspain.eu , or on the NHS Choices website under Healthcare in Spain .

started by: