Residency in France

6 Replies

Good morning, I have an EU passport but my husband doesn't. We have been told that he must live in France for a minimum of 5 years before he's entitled to residency. Does his ownership of a home in France change that ruling - i.e does he have any residency rights if he owns property in France? Thanks, Judy Douglas.

Featured Classified


24crabtree 1609938774

Owning a house does not mean you are a resident.

I assume from your question, he has never resistered for French health care or filed a French tax return.

As you are an EU citizen, he may be able to apply as the spouse of an EU citizen, see link below.

JA-Huntley-939041 1609948282

Thanks for your reply. We were due to leave for France this month but Covid's interfered with our plans. As soon as we're able to get to France we intend registering for French health care, whichever form it takes in our situation, and register for tax. We're trying to do as much research as possible before we leave home. Would being a French taxpayer alter his residency status? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

24crabtree 1609962897

Your EU passport (which country?) is extremely valuable.

Your husband has missed the boat so to speak, as from 1st January Brits are no longer EU citizens and he will have to register as such when you arrive. I think registering as spouse of EU citizen is his best route.

However, here are all the CDS links:

It is not paying tax, it is registering for tax purposes and completing a tax return every year. All residents of France must do that.

JA-Huntley-939041 1610097467

I'm very fortunate to have an Irish EU passport. Thanks so much for all your info and links.

Paul-Mitchell-921263 1611053650

The rules changed with UK's exit from the EU. Now, your husband can only stay in the EU for up to 90 days in any 180-day period, without seeking a longer-stay visa.He can enter effectively as a tourist then set about making his residence more permanent.

At border control, he may be asked to show a return or onward ticket, and evidence of enough money for his stay.  More galling perhaps, he will have to join the non-EU, EEA and Swiss citizens queue.

Registering for health care and paying tax comes later. A carte vitale for access to the French health system could take many months, dependent on the quality of the paperwork. Tax only becomes payable in the first year long after the end of the calendar tax year and is not evidence of residential status, in fact it follows from evidence of domicile rather than proving it. So the key document is the carte de séjour (long-stay visa). Apply for it as soon as possible after arrival.

Join the discussion