Alcohol law re chambre d'hote

9 Replies



I am told that the new regulations concerning chambre d'hote include a nonsense of restraining owners from selling or even giving alcohol to guests of CH.   Also sme nonsense about only one dining table for breakfast.   What happens if someone ike me weants to eat breakfast alone or with my wife, do I have to suffer others at the table?   D o guests drink their own booze, in their rooms,hiding in the broom cujpboard, in fear and trepidastion of the Gendarmes breaking down the door and carting us off to jug?   What is the point?  Anyone got the correct SP, please?

Featured Classified


backfromthegulag-111068 1394267695

L'habitant, qui loue une ou plusieurs chambres, peut aussi proposer des repas à ses hôtes.

Un seul menu doit être proposé et le repas doit être pris à la table familiale en compagnie de l'habitant.

Pour les boissons alcoolisées, le propriétaire doit posséder une licence.

taken from

Galvani3000 1394269859

Thanks, for that.   But why?   Never any @locals@ in CH in my 30 years, only foreigners and other department folk on holiday!    Seems like "social engineering" to make everyone sit at School Dinners, or rather School Breakfast, some people just dont want to be sociable at any time.

The license makes sense, of course, revenue just like any other kind of fund raising exercise in any country .   So,no need to "go to the barricades", yet.


Fish24 1394272579

Additional info but not 'off topic':-

This has existed for many, many years and, up until last year, one had to have a Licence I to be able to serve fresh orange juice, tea, milk, coffee at breakfast time which has now been stopped. Alcohol, in most countries, is regulated by the Customs and Excise, for which one has to have a Licence II/III/IV to be able to supply and sell to the public as you are not permitted to 'give' it away!!!

Chambres d'Hôtes and Table d'Hôtes in France is taken to mean you are a guest in your host's house and join them in their meals which is why many people on holiday or stop-over for 1/2 nights, deliberately choose to do whenever possible and be social interested in learning about the people and the local area.

These, and many other laws, rules and regulations are not always respected like so many others and by other, whilst meals are usually only supposed to be provided to those staying in the guest house, they have been known to accept people from outside but it then comes under 'restaurant' and a different hygiene and tax ball game.

If you choose to be on your own and doing your own thing, maybe you should go to a hotel.

Galvani3000 1394282126

Fish 24.   Thanks for that.   I have been here since 1971  and changed from hotels to CD because I liked the atmosphere, what I dont like is having to associate with people I dont choose.

So, no info re consumption of personal alcohol.   I can drink my gin and french when away.\


Thanks for all the "advice" but advice is not what I was after, it was information.




CATSANDUS 1396981861

Fish 24  - I knew that only a few years ago they brought in a law that one had to apply for a licence from ones Mairie to serve breakfast beverages - but is this correct then that it has been withdrawn and one no longer needs this ? 

I presume the same rules still apply about max 5 bedrooms and max 14 people?  

One wonders how many private homes have tables for 14 people plus the hosts ?  Very few I reckon.   We used to regularly stay B and B in various places in France and one hardly ever eats with the hosts, but one eats at a table 'within their home' and that is, I think, the main criteria ie  you are living with them.

The main criteria of course is that the hosts like having people in their home, if one is not of the naturally welcoming nature then forget offering Chambres d'hôte and find another way to top up your income. We have stayed in places where at least one partner was rude and unwelcoming and it is not a pleasant experience - one needs to be a the host with the most ie flexible, patient, generous by nature and prepared to stay up late and get up early and also understand if people spring dietary requirements on you without prior warning, and understand if their kids are not as perfect as you 'd like them to !

Fish24 1396986700

1. Anyone running a "chambre d'hôtes" can find the law here as already indicated by a previous poster:-

and here:-

Remember that if there is a TV in the guests' room, there is an addition to the Redevance contribution.


2. Anyone wishing to include an evening meal under the exploitation of "table d'hôtes" can find the required law here:-


Couple of points - they dropped the requirement of a Licence 1 for "boisson non-alchoolisé" back in 2011so I was a couple of years out.  Sorry!.

Do not mix up the word 'boisson' with 'boisson alchoolisé'

To be declared at your local Mairie on a special formulaire (helps the emergency services when lost in case of fire, accident, etc. and the Taxe d'Habitation!)

Personal buys and consumption of 'gin and french' have the Customs taxes already paid, I presume.

It is a lovely way of getting to know others and understand the local traditions, customs and culture but rude people, in any country, loose out.

JohnRobert-515279 1396991423

Hi everyone ( especially Fish 24) 

i think there is a mix up in most peoples minds between B &B and chambres d'hotes ?

Chambres d'hotes was set up for farmers , to earn a little by renting a room that was not in use,so breakfast was taken on the same table as the family .That is why it was registered at the chambre d'agriculture.

Tables d'hotes the same , alchohol  was included if it was wine ,which is part of the meal.

B & B, is a buisness, therefore must be registered and as such needs licences etc.

so basicaly if you are not a farmer , then no chambre d'hotes but B&B ? 

These were the rules , I stand of course :-)). to be corrected 

regards John

Fish24 1397005129

JohnRobert - Thank you for your interesting comment and maybe that was true in the beginning but taking into account that in present rural communities today, it all comes under a combined set of laws for one and all, whether urban or rural, and is known as the Code de Tourisme.

In France it is relatively complex, being the country with the largest number of tourists in the world and number 1 money spinner. The question of B&B (Anglophone countries) and chambre d'hôtes (French-speaking countries) are, in very general terms, the same idea but the laws, decrets, rules and regulations depend upon the country.

I have tried to point out certain information to the OP and my last post above is in reply to another poster, whom, as far as I know, does not have a farm nor agricultural land (unless it was on behalf  of someone else).

If in doubt about the difference between the wording of guest rooms (chambres d'hôtes and B and B), just to remind you that we are all in France and the law comes under 'chambres d'hôtes', ( plus meublés de tourisme or gites de tourisme or whatever) and under the French Code de Tourisme as follows:-

I can find no reference whatsoever under the Chambre d'Agriculture to the denomination of "Bed and Breakfast", only Chambres à la ferme/Gites ruraux, etc. but known as a 'complement de revenue à la ferme' with a slightly different set of economic rules but under the same rules and regulations as the other tourist denominations.  I only know of the B&B chain of economy hotels who use it as their trade name.

Fish24 1397030856

To those interested - I forgot to indicate that if you put in "Bed and Breakfast Regulations in France" and Google, you will find a lot of information in English to clear up any possible further queries.

Join the discussion