started by: Michelle-Grayshon-983554 · last update: 1612625702 · posted: 1612625702

We own a house which is split into 4.Our neighbour - owns 1 part of the house and his father owns 2 parts of the house  They have decided upon themselves to take out a syndic pro without informing us & without even being invited to the 1st AGM, also appointing themselves as the president & Scrutateur, giving them the majority of votes - we have just been issued with a facture for 1300€ per year for the privilege of this unnecessary pro account. Can anyone advise if we can do anything about this. 

started by: Yatin-Joshi-974418 · last update: 1603084305 · posted: 1603084305

I need help to know a bank (other than HSBC) with good customer support English speaking in France to have an individual account.

started by: Elaine-Quinn-926592 · last update: 1522826439 · posted: 1522826439

Hi all I hope someone can help me out.  I have a tenant who does not have a contract as he was only supposed to be in the apartment for a couple of months until he moved into another apartment which then fell through. So we agreed that he could stay on a month by month basis until he found somewhere else.  This was 11 months ago and now he has stopped paying the rent and is refusing to pay.  Does anyone know where we stand?  Can we just ask him to leave? Many thanks.

started by: Linda-Guest-913960 · last update: 1510065679 · posted: 1510065679

I am looking for a expert or company who can help me with the legal and accounting issues of starting a nonprofit (association) in France (the French Alps) ... a type of youth center with a snack cafe.  Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks in advance.

started by: Kelly-Wasy-908773 · last update: 1504613414 · posted: 1504613414

Hi, I am in the process of leaving my CDD contract before it ends because I have been offered a CDI contract with another company. My previous employer has agreed to a mutual leaving agreement but is refusing to pay me my Holiday Pay. I told him I didn't want to sign the leaving agreement until I found out if I was owed holiday pay still. Does anyone know if breaking a CDD automatically makes you not eligible for holiday pay?  And now my employer is withholding my paycheque (which was due on Sept 1st) until I sign the leaving agreement and says he can hold on to it for as long as he wants. Anyone know if that is legal as well? or does he have to pay me by a certain date?Thanks!

started by: Emilie-Flipot-897234 · last update: 1491511180 · posted: 1491501358

Hello, My parents need to send me a large amount of money (£10000) and I'm looking for bank alternatives to make the most of this transfer. I heard about many services, the last one being Moneytis, it looks like a platform that compares money transfer providers. As anyone ever used it? I'm a bit scared to use these new services. Thanks a lot for your help. 

started by: AndyBoyd · last update: 1488789512 · posted: 1481365970

Hi allWe bought a house last year in the SavoieAll is going well but I have not heard from the authorities about the taxe fonciere and the taxe d’habitation. We have received no paperwork in respect of these and my assumption was the Notaris or the real estate agent would have registered us for this. Perhaps this was a wrong assumptionCan anyone advice how I can register for these 2 taxes etc as googling around I only see what they are not how to registermany thanksAndy

started by: Helen-Peters-883552 · last update: 1486415028 · posted: 1483112358

Hello. I am new here so please forgive me if this question has come up before.we bought a house in Rhone Alps in June 2015 with a view to renting it out as a furnished holiday letting. The house was tired and lacked a pool, which we have since added this year. We have to make our first tax return soon to declare the rental income received this year, but in reality we have made a huge loss as it will take a few years of letting to recoup the pool costs. We have not extended the property and other works include redecorating, new furniture, landscaping, new gates etc. My question is, does the pool count as improvements and therefore deductible or does it count as extension of the property and therefore not? Thanks.

started by: tkalman · last update: 1485199813 · posted: 1463576173

Hello,I am sure I am not the only with this problem so I hope there are some of you who knows the solution for this "trap" and it can be useful for others too. I am living and working in France for 3 years now but my girlfriend has just moved here few weeks ago. She is looking for a job but as you know, for a job, she needs a bank account. When we tried to open a bank account for her at La Banque Postale (where I already have one), they required a proof of income, that she obviosuly does not have.Anybody knows a solution for this problem or any other bank where she can open an account without a proof of the income?Thanks for your help in advance.Kalman

started by: gerry c · last update: 1473753911 · posted: 1473753911

started by: Alastair-Taylor-852450 · last update: 1457963883 · posted: 1457963883

 I'm a small business owner trying to recover a sizeable debt from a client (another French registered business). The client has stopped taking calls, emails etc. so I've followed onlune lega advice i'online and sent a demand for payment letter, followed by, two weeks later after I'd receved no response, a Mise en Demeurre letter. Both letters sent avec "Avis de Reception" were returned to me after the client declined to collect them from their local post office, after they'd manged to avoid the postman. I'm now not sure what the next step is in the legal process, since the client is avoiding the letters. Any advice would be much appreciated. 

started by: avalanche cocktails · last update: 1453054711 · posted: 1453054711

Hello, I am just about to start a small buisness teaching cocktail making classes to holiday makers in there chalets. I am going to provide all of the equipment and spirits required for the sessions, but as it is in there chalets do i need a licence to do this? as technicly im not selling them drinks, im selling them an experiance, they are making them themselves, and are paying for my tutorage of cocktail making.   any advice would be helpfull

started by: Martin-481991 · last update: 1449754621 · posted: 1378246780

Has anyone already done the new course held in Annecy? I have been told it is necessary if you wish to serve alcohol in a catered chalet. The course seems to be a one size fits all 21/2 days! What level of French is required and how difficult is the test afterwards? Many thanks in anticipation. Martin

started by: Lynne&Ham-782094 · last update: 1449593986 · posted: 1446115749

A new campaign group has recently formed in the UK called WASPI (Women Against State Pension Inequality Campaign) to "seek fair transitional arrangements for all women born on or after 6th April 1951 who have unfairly borne the burden of the increase to the State Pension Age (SPA). Hundreds of thousands of women have had significant changes imposed on them with a lack of appropriate notification. The 1995 Conservative Government’s Pension Act included plans to increase women’s SPA to 65, the same as men’s. Women Against State Pension Inequality (WASPI), agree with equalisation, but don’t agree with the unfair way the changes were implemented – with little/no personal notice (1995/2011 Pension Acts), faster than promised (2011 Pension Act), and no time to make alternative plans. Retirement plans have been shattered with devastating consequences." A crowdfunding exercise raised enough to pay for legal advice and barristers are currently considering potential action. A petition has been signed by more than 21,000 people since the 20th October. Yesterday it was announced that the Parliamentary Select Committee for Work and Pensions will be seeking submissions from women born in the 50's. "The Work and Pensions Committee have launched an inquiry into the new State Pension introduced in April 2016. Concerns have been raised that many of those who will be affected by the changes do not know enough about the changes or exactly what they will mean for their pensions." More details here:-  I am sure that there are many of you (like me) who are affected by these changes. You may want to consider signing the petition and asking your family and friends to do the same here You can find more information about the campaign and read some of the heartbreaking stories about women who have been left without the money they are entitled to here: Please pass this information to the women you know who were born in the 50's!

started by: ASHA72 · last update: 1449547252 · posted: 1444288498

Hello   I would like to live and work in the Alps, particularly in the Haute Maurienne. I've got to know the valley quite well now. As a non EU citizen. I know it's going to be impossible to find work in France. So I was thinking I could buy a small business that could allow me to live and work in France. What are your thoughts on this    thanks Ashley    

started by: Max LeComptoirDesLangues · last update: 1443020173 · posted: 1443020173

We are hiring native speaking for English Teacher Position ! We need someone in the Auxerre and in the Annecy area !  We are currently hiring EMT or EMT accent teachers with prior business experience and decent french knowledge, to teach our mainly business clientèle, using a highly effective proven method. We provide training and all teaching materials for free. No class preparation necessary. Private/group classes at the client's office. We provide you with a free 2-hours training.  If you'd like to consider this opportunity, feel free to send us your CV/resume at cq@langues.fr  Transport costs are fully reimbursed Between 17,26 and 20€/hr   Don't hesitate to send me an email or a PM if you're interested ! 

started by: cynthia c · last update: 1441730150 · posted: 1441730150

Hello, Im in need of an English speaking lawyer with divorce experience/expertise. Hopefully, not terribly expensive. Lawyers in Grenoble, Chambery, Annecy are all fine with me. Can someone give me a referral? Feel free to message me too. Thanks so much. Cynthia

started by: Chris Duffey · last update: 1440098074 · posted: 1440098074

Hi  would anyone be able to advise what affects 'Regulated Rental Investment' can have a long term rental contract? We have recently applied to take on a long term rent on a house through an estate agent. We supplied all information for the application and have just received the following reply (translated)  Hello, The owners can not accept rent because your income is too high. It is regulated rental investment and your situation does not match, they must file tax returns in France.I'm sorry for you and I look if I can find you something else.I contact you tomorrow for it or call me tomorrow .   We recently cand across from the UK and are currently using a holiday home rental while we looked for a long term house rental. I work abroad but pay full UK tax at source. How can my wage be too high and unless we get set up over here we cannot transfer to French tax without having a long term home. We have set up French bank account. In our research to come over here we certainly didn't read anything that indicated my wage and tax position would be an issue.  Any comments please 

started by: RobertF-10048551 · last update: 1439553110 · posted: 1439553110

Hi, hope someone can help. I know it's August and the whole world stops but how long is reasonable from final signature on a sale to receiving the funds? my sale went through on the 5th of August, the Notary does not return my emails asking when I will receive the funds. When I called this week I was told it is the fault of the syndic as they had not confirmed that I had settled all outstanding accounts - so I chased them and they did it immediately (apparently they have been very busy....). But still I wait....I have a feeling it's the 'stupid English' syndrome. How on earth does someone buy a new place at the same time as selling a previous one in France? Just bizarre.... Thanks

started by: hannah.short08 · last update: 1434542100 · posted: 1412602189

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. I had an accident whilst on my bike today - a driver opened his door without looking and I continued straight into it. I am not badly hurt but my bike (which was new last week!) needs some repairs. I have the driver's name and telephone number. How can I go about passing on the bike repair bill to him? Do I do this directly with him or is there a process which should be followed? Many thanks for any information!  

started by: