Buying a Used CarGreece
Buying a Used Car in Greece
How to buy a used car in Greece, with details on the documents that may be required...
There are a number of websites, magazines and newspapers (mostly in Greek) that advertise used cars for sale in Greece. A secondhand car is called μεταχειρισμενα αυτοκινητα in Greek.
Before buying a car, a buyer can take a used car to a mechanic to be checked (for a small fee).
When buying a secondhand car, the following documents are required for the transfer of ownership and registration:
- Certified copy of proof of identity of both the buyer and seller
- KTEO document (MOT) from the seller
- Proof of circulation tax payment
- Documentation of receipt of payment by the seller (an invoice marked paid)
- Request for transfer and registration of the car ownership (document Aitisi)
- Vehicle registration document, certified by the local tax office proving that the annual vehicle tax has been paid
- Power of attorney, if registration is carried out by a third party
- Foreign citizens need to provide their Residence Permit (Aδεια παραμονης)
- Registration fee
The documents are submitted to the local Citizen Service Centre (Κεντρο Εξυπηρετησης Πολιτων - KEP). The buyer will be notified once the documents are ready for collection.
- To find a local Citizen Service Centre anywhere in Greece: Click here
Documents can also be submitted to The Ministry.
Car insurance should be taken out before registration of the vehicle.