Registration of the Birth

Understand how to register the birth of a new child and whether a child born inĀ Argentina is eligible for Argentinian nationality...

Births in Argentina must be registered within forty days. It can be done at the hospital or at a civil registry office (Registro Civil). If all the correct documentation is brought to the hospital, then it is not necessary to go to a civil registry office. However, paperwork must be organized in advance, because documents must be translated and the parents' marriage certificate must be apostilled if they were not married in Argentina. All translations must be carried out by a translator certified by the National College of Translators.

Birth registration and birth certificates are free of charge. The following conditions apply:

  • If both parents were married in Argentina, then either parent can go to the civil registry office with the relevant identification documents
  • If the parents are unmarried, then both parents must go to the civil registry office, with their relevant identification documents


The following documents must be taken to the civil registry office:

  • Signed and notarised medical certificate of the birth (Certificado de Nacimiento)
  • Parents' passports and a photocopy
  • Marriage certificate. If the parents were married outside Argentina, translated and certified copies of the marriage certificate are required

Following registration, the parents receive the child's birth certificate (Acta de Nacimiento) and the baby's identification papers (DNI).

Any baby born in Argentina automatically acquires Argentine citizenship. Parents who were not born in Argentina but whose child was born in Argentina can apply for permanent residency.

Naming a Baby

If a child is born in Argentina, their name must conform to a national list. The list of names permitted is extensive and if the desired name is absent from the list, it is possible to petition for it to be included. The main purpose of the list is to ensure appropriate names are chosen for children. Parents working for an embassy or with diplomatic status are exempt from this rule.