Registration and Identity Cards

Find out whether you need an Argentinian identity card, and how to apply for one...

The following formalities must be completed on arriving in Argentina:

Migratory Card

All foreigners must apply for an Immigration Card/Migratory Card (Tarjeta Migratoria) on arrival in Argentina.

This can be applied for online: Click here and select “Print your Migratory Card” under the menu on the left.

National Identity Card (Documento Nacional de Identidad - DNI)

This is similar to a social security number and is the national identity document in Argentina. In order to obtain a number, residents must register with the local population office (Registro Nacional de las Personas) in their area of residence. This must be done within 90 days of arrival in Argentina.

Applicants need to supply the following documents:

  • Proof of address
  • Certificate of residence issued by the National Migration Office
  • Original birth certificate. This must be legalized by the country of origin or have a Hague apostille stamp if from a country that has signed the Hague Convention
  • For further information on obtaining a DNI: Click here
  • To find a local office: Click here (in Spanish)


Foreign nationals intending to work in Argentina in Argentina need to apply for a CUIL (Código Único de Identificación Laboral). This is an identification number for tax purposes and is needed when starting work in Argentina.

This number can be obtained at a social security office, Administración Nacional de la Seguridad Social (ANSES), either online (website in Spanish), by telephone or in person at one of their offices.

Those with permanent residency should supply their DNI or a driving license. Foreigners without permanent residency need to provide proof of address, or an entry permit (visa), or a Certificado Nacional de Población y Migraciones - the certificate issued by their local population office.

  • For further information on obtaining a CUIL: Click here (in Spanish)

Certificate of Residence

The Certificate of Residence (Certificado de Domicilio) is used to provide proof of address and is issued by the local police station in the applicant's area of residence. An appointment should be made with a police officer, who then visits the applicant's address to check that they live there. If this is the case, a certificate is issued; a small fee is payable.

Information supplied by Marval, O'Farrell & Mairal Av. Leandro N. Alem 928 piso 7, (C1001AAR) Buenos Aires, Argentina Tel: (011) 4310-0100, Fax: (011) 4310 0200