Insurance and Insuring a Vehicle

General information on taking out an insurance policy in Argentina, with comprehensive details on insuring a vehicle (options from third party to all risks) and making a claim...

To be able to drive in Argentina all motorists are required to have mandatory car insurance (seguro de automotores), which is provided by a large number of banks and private companies.

This involves only minimum coverage and is known as Civil Liability (Responsabilidad Civil) or third party insurance, covering any damages a driver causes to another person or to another person's property. Civil Liability insurance covers any criminal defense expenses and any damages caused to third parties up to the amount specified in the contract, which is fixed by law. This insurance does not cover any necessary repairs to the driver's own car.

Optional Cover

It is also possible to take out additional cover for the following:

  • Damage to the vehicle as a result of an accident
  • Fire
  • Theft

Full or partial cover is available for any of the above options.

The amount of insurance premiums depends on a number of factors including the make and model of the vehicle, the age of the vehicle and the age and driving history of the driver.

To take out insurance an application form (Solicitud del Seguro) must be filled in. This form includes personal details and information on the type of insurance contract required. When signing an insurance contract it is essential to understand the extent of the guarantees provided and the amount of the excess fee (franquicia) that may apply. It is also important to check the start and end date of the contract (Inicio y fin de cobertura), which is specified at the top of the insurance policy (PĆ³liza).

  • For further information about vehicle insurance in Argentina: Click here (in Spanish)

Imported Vehicles

Imported cars can be insured as a Resident Car provided they are legally registered in the country.If the vehicle is in the country only on a temporary basis it can be covered by an insurance policy but only for Civil Liability, that is, damages against a third party; the minimum coverage required by law.

Making a Claim

In the event of an accident involving damage to the insured vehicle, it is important to fill in an accident report form (Denuncia de Siniestro) which should include the following:

  • Location, date and hour of the accident, and details of the way in which the accident occurred; if possible take photos of the damages sustained by the vehicle/s
  • Weather conditions at the time of the accident
  • Details of any other persons involved, including name and surname, ID numbers, address, telephone number, driving license (check expiry date). Confirm whether the person driving was actually the owner or a third-party driver
  • Details of any other vehicle involved, including license plate, name and address of the insurance company, vehicle make and model, type of damages sustained
  • Contact details of any witnesses to the incident

The vehicle owner is required to go to the police station and file a police report, a copy of which must be submitted to the insurance company within three days, along with the car registration documents (Cedula verde), the driver's driving license, the insurance card or coverage certificate and the latest insurance payment voucher.

If damages include injuries and/or death as a result of the accident the Police will be required to intervene, and will take charge of collecting the details of all those involved, and determining the exact position of the vehicles.

In the event of a claim, the policy holder has to pay an excess fee (franquicia). The insurance company covers the difference between the excess fee and the total amount of the claim.

Further Information