Furniture, Hardware, Grocery and Appliance Shopping in Australia
Australian chain stores that supply the basic furniture, home furnishings, white goods and electrical appliances for your home...
Shop opening hours are regulated in some states and territories. Few stores are open 24 hours a day except in inner city Melbourne and Sydney. Most stores are open between the hours of 09:00 and 17:00, with many supermarkets staying open until 21:00. It is common for shops to open later one evening per week for "late night shopping".
What follows is a selection of basic grocery, furniture, appliance, DIY and office supply shops in Australia. The Yellow Pages or the individual stores website will provide information on the closest branch.
- Woolworths: The largest supermarket chain in Australia. It sells products to suit a range of special diets as well as a dedicated wholefoods range. Most stores have a deli, cheese and meat counter and a full range of fresh foods
- Coles: One of the largest supermarket chains in Australia. It stocks a range of certified organic products and a gluten free range
- ALDI: Discount retailer selling groceries as well as some garden and DIY products
- IGA Supermarkets: Independent supermarkets of varying sizes, focused on serving their local communities. Their stores stock a full range of groceries including an organic range
- Ritchies: The largest independent supermarket chain in Australia. Part of the company's profits are put back into the local community. They have stores throughout New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria
Most supermarket chains have reward schemes for regular customers and offer online shopping services.
Furniture and Appliance Shops
- IKEA: Specialises in home decoration. They sell furniture, textiles and accessories for the home. Their kitchen range includes white goods, fixtures and fittings. They have stores throughout Australia, with the exception of the Northern Territory
- Harvey Norman: Has stores throughout Australia. They stock electrical goods, computers, televisions, white goods, furniture and bedding
- Forty Winks: Sells beds and bedroom furniture in stores around the country
- Early Settler: Sells traditional timber furniture for the house and garden
Building Materials, Hardware and DIY
- Bunnings Warehouse: DIY specialist selling bathroom and kitchen equipment, building materials, paints, tools and hardware, lighting, electrical equipment and flooring. They also stock an outdoor living range including furniture, pools, spas and barbecues
- Mitre10: Hardware chain selling appliances, paint, tools, kitchens, gardening equipment and tools
- Home Timber and Hardware: Sells domestic and building tools, gardening equipment and paint
- Paint Place: Sells paints for interiors and exteriors
Office Supplies and Stationery
- Officeworks: The largest supplier of office supplies in Australia. They stock office and school stationery, inks and toners, furniture, computers and electrical goods
- Office Choice: Stores around Australia, stocking stationery, office furniture, computers and computing accessories
- Office National: Stocks printer supplies, stationery, furniture and warehouse equipment