Local Administration Offices in Melbourne

Contact information for the national and local administrative centres of the Melbourne area. The place to go for residency papers, vehicle registration papers, driving licences and more...

The Australian government Department of Immigration and Citizenship has an official website for residents of Australia. It has much useful information for people already living and working in Australia, as well as for those who are moving to Australia. It contains information on visa applications, immigration and citizenship.

  • Department of Immigration and Citizenship
    : Casselden Place, 2 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, 3000 (client service access is from Spring Street)
    Tel: 13 18 81 
    Fax: 03 9235 3300
    Open: Monday to Friday from 09:00-16:00
  • For information on visas and work permits, see the section on Finding a Visa
  • For information on settling in Australia and Australia's diversity and values, see the section on Living in Australia
  • For information on applying for Australian citizenship, see the section on Citizenship

Local City Council

Victoria Online is the government website for Victoria which has in-depth information on local, state and federal government services and covers categories such as Business & Industry, Education, Health & Community, Property & Planning and Employment & Workplace.

The site also offers a number of online services which include applying for a birth, death or marriage certificate and applying for a police record check.

  • Tel: 1300 366 356

The Registry of Births, Marriages and Deaths

Administrative formalities associated with life events, such as birth, death and marriage, are the responsibility of the local Register of Births, Marriages and Deaths (BDM).

  • Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
    : Ground floor, 595 Collins Street, Melbourne
    Tel: 1300 369 367 (from within Australia)
  • To find a local Justice Service Centre providing birth, death and marriage services: Click here


Centrelink is a national agency which offers services and social security payments on behalf of several government agencies. These include age and disability pensions, family tax benefits, Newstart Allowance (for the unemployed) and Austudy (for students). Comprehensive information about the services they offer is available on the Department of Human Resources website.

  • For information on contacting the services available: Click here
Centrelink offices in Melbourne, Victoria
South Melbourne - 94 York Street, South Melbourne, VIC 3205
Yarra - 617 Victoria Street, Abbotsford, VIC 3067
Newmarket - 482-490 Racecourse Road, Flemington, VIC 3031
Windsor - 255 High Street, Prahran, VIC 3181
Footscray - Metro West Shopping Centre, Cnr Albert Street and Paisley Street, Footscray, VIC 3011
Moreland - 172-186 Moreland Road, Brunswick, VIC 3056


Medicare Australia is Australia's publicly funded health care system providing subsidised medical treatment to permanent residents and Australian citizens.

  • Medicare General Enquiries Tel: 132 011

People resident in Australia may be eligible for a Medicare Card and health benefits if they:

  • are an Australian or New Zealand citizen
  • are permanent residents
  • have applied for a permanent visa (conditions apply)
  • are covered by a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with another country (including the United Kingdom, Ireland, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Italy and Norway). For more information on reciprocal health care agreements in Australia: Click here
Medicare Offices in Melbourne
Galleria - Shop E17 Ground Floor Galleria Shopping Plaza, 385 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
City East - Shop 7, Southern Cross 1, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
City West - Shop 11, 600 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Prahran - Shop 53 Level 1, Pran Central Shopping Centre, 325 Chapel Street, Prahran, VIC 3181
Northcote - Shop 22/23, Northcote Central Shopping Centre, 17 Separation Street, Northcote, VIC 3070
Moonee Ponds - 122A Puckle Street, Moonee Ponds, VIC 3039

Australian Tax Office

It is compulsory for everyone earning an income in Australia to submit a tax return. All Australian residents are also required to have a Tax File Number (TFN). Temporary visitors to Australia or permanent migrants must also have a TFN if they are one of the following:

  • a working holiday-maker
  • a New Zealander (automatically granted a visa on arrival)
  • an overseas student (visa amended to allow you to work)
  • a person with a valid visa (allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely)
  • a person with a business visa
  • For information on getting a TFN: Click here

Australian Taxation Offices can be contacted by telephone, mail or in person.

  • Tel: 13 28 61
  • To find an ATO office in Victoria: Click here

Driving Licences in Melbourne

In order to drive in Victoria a valid driving licence is required. Driver's licences are administered by VicRoads.

The requirement to change an overseas driver’s licence to a Victorian licence depends on whether the stay in Victoria is temporary or permanent.

  • For more information on eligibility to qualify for a Victorian licence: Click here
  • For a list of VicRoads offices: Click here

For information on driving in Melbourne see the VicRoads website.

  • Tel: 13 11 71 (general enquiries)