Pets and Animals in Azerbaijan
Understand a pet owner's responsibilities and find out about local animal organisations...
The State Veterinary Department is responsible for animal management in Azerbaijan. It also provides veterinary services, including vaccinations.
- State Veterinary Department
At: 8 Mikrorayon, 3123 Street, AZ1115 Baku
Tel: (012) 562 76 13 / (012) 411 18 01
Hotline: (012) 563 50 06
Fax: (012) 562 66 32
Pet Ownership Regulations
There are a number of rules which apply to keeping pets in Azerbaijan. Legislation states the following:
- A family cannot keep more than one dog and two cats in an apartment
- Pet owners are responsible for vaccinating their animals against infectious diseases; this should be done at the State Veterinary Department; pet owners should also inform the State Veterinary Department if they move house within five days of moving
- Owners of large dogs, for example Boxers, German Shepherds and Dobermans, must have a sign on the front door which states that there is a dangerous dog in the home, or have a photograph of the animal on the door
- A dog must be kept on a leash when outdoors. Large dogs must also have a muzzle
- Children who are under 15 years old may not walk a dog alone
- Pets are not allowed in children's play areas, around children's institutions, as well as medical and educational establishments; dogs can only be walked in designated areas
- Dogs are not allowed in cafés and restaurants
- Animals can not be sold to under 18s without written permission of the minor's parent or guardian
- Pets should not be left unattended
A complaint about a pet should be reported to the police. The police report is then sent to the State Veterinary Department, which issues a fine.
Travelling with Pets
Before a dog or cat enters Azerbaijan, it must be vaccinated against rabies and have a veterinary certificate. When a pet leaves Azerbaijan, a health certificate must be obtained from the State Veterinary Department.
- For further information see the Guide on Moving Pet Animals
In general, pets are not allowed on public transport in Azerbaijan;, however, pets can be taken on trains in special carriages. A ticket can be bought at the railway station and the owner must have the pet's veterinary certificate, which can be obtained from the State Veterinary Department.