Teen Alcohol and Drug Use
The regulations as they affect teenagers in Azerbaijan...
Teenagers and Alcohol
Azerbaijan is a secular country and Islam is the predominant religion. There is, however, no ban or limit on the selling of alcohol nor on the consumption of alcoholic drinks. Spirits and alcoholic drinks can be found in most supermarkets. Alcohol can also be purchased at any time during the day.
The minimum legal age for purchasing and drinking alcohol in Azerbaijan is 18 years. There is a fine for selling alcohol to youth under 18 years old.
Teenagers and Drugs
There is a high rate of addiction among Azerbaijani youth, despite the fact that there are a number of drugs and other psychotropic substances which are either prohibited or restricted on the territory of Azerbaijan.
- For a comprehensive list: Click here
The fine (under the Code of Azerbaijan Republic on Administrative Offences) for the production, storage and use of drugs and psychotropic substances is between AZN 300 to 400. Each case is considered separately and punishment can include 15 days of imprisonment.
A person can be fined for refusing a drug test.
- For further information about fines for using, importing or transporting drugs and psychotropic substances: Click here (in Azerbaijani)
- For further information from the US Department of State: Click here and scroll down to Azerbaijan
Support Groups and Helplines
Drug addicts are treated in specialised medical institutions at the state's expense. Contact details of associations an organisations that can help in the event of addiction problems can be found below:
- Azerbaijan Psychological Association
At: 93/18 Nizami Street, Baku
Tel: (050) 371 77 11
Fax: (012) 598 06 38
- Azerbaijan Young Psychological Association (AYPA)
- National Drug Prevention Union
At: 71 A. Hasanbay Zardabi Avenue, 209 Yasamal District, Baku
- Republican Drug Dispenser (Drug Treatment Centre)
At: 13 Zigh Highway, Baku
Tel: (012) 372 82 44 / (012) 372 82 86
Fax: (012) 372 91 88