- Country File
- Moving Pets
- Relocation Checklist
- Useful Contacts
Information on how to apply for a birth certificate of a new child and how to register nationality...
Within one month of the birth, a birth certificate should be obtained from any branch of the civil registry office (ZAGS). There are currently 86 state registry offices operating under the Ministry of Justice in Azerbaijan. These are responsible for the registration of births, deaths, divorces, and changes in the first or last names of citizens.
- Main Registry Office (ZAGS)
At: 36A, Gara Garayev Avenue, Nizami District, Baku
Tel: (012) 421 35 86
It is advisable to call the relevant ZAGS office before going to check opening times and the documents required to register the birth, although these are usually as follows:
- Birth certificate from the hospital
- Marriage certificate copy, translated and notarised, if applicable
- Passport copies of the parents with registered visas, translated and notarised, if applicable
At least one parent must go to the office in person (with a translator if no Azerbaijani is spoken). Once the birth is registered, the parents receive the child's birth certificate. There is no fee for this service.
- For more information about the registration procedure: Click here
Temporary residents and foreign citizens should also contact their respective embassy and consulate in Azerbaijan to obtain the necessary documents relating to the child's birth.