Work Permit Applications
Find out about the documents required for a work permit application in Azerbaijan...
The employer is responsible for applying for a work permit when employing a foreigner. The work permit's duration corresponds with that of the temporary residence permit and the documents required are submitted together.
A foreigner is eligible for a work permit if:
- They are more than 18 years old
- There is no suitable Azerbaijani candidate to fill the position
The employer must apply to the State Migration Service, justifying each point.
- State Migration Service
At: Block 3123, Binagadi Highway, Binagadi District 202, Baku AZ1114
Tel: 919 (Migration Information Centre)
Fax: (012) 562 37 02
Applications to renew a work permit must be made one month prior to the expiry date of the current permit.
The following documents are required in support of an application for a work permit:
- Companies must provide a completed application form which includes the name of the legal entity (company) and their address
- Individuals must provide an identity document, work history for the last five years, address of the workplace and position
- Notarised copy of document confirming professional qualification
- Reference confirming the need to employ a specialist in a particular field
- Copy of document confirming the right to stay in Azerbaijan
- Health certificate proving that the applicant is not infected with HIV, Hepatitis B and C
- Notarised copy of the applicant's passport, which must be valid for a minimum of six months after arriving in Azerbaijan
- Legal entities must provide a notarised copy of state registration; individuals must provide proof that they are a registered a taxpayer and provide a notarised copy of their ID
- A notarised copy of a marriage certificate might also be needed
- Fee, for further information about work permit fees: Click here
- To download an application form for a work permit: Click here (PDF, scroll down to page 7)
- For further information about the documents needed to get a work permit: Click here
The work permit is generally issued within 30 days. If the application is rejected, they receive written notification within five days after the application has been submitted.
Regulations Governing Work Permits and Extensions
- A work permit cannot be transferred to another person or employer
- A work permit's duration corresponds with that of a temporary residence permit
- A work permit is issued for one year, after which it can be renewed four times, each time for one year
- If a work permit is renewed, a new card is issued
- Once a foreigner has worked in Azerbaijan for five years, they have to leave the country and only after one year can they return for working purposes
- If the work permit is lost, the employer must notify the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection within 15 days
- There is a fee for a work permit extension. For further information about the fees charged for extending a work permit: Click here
The employer must inform the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection that an employment contract has been terminated within five days of its termination date. The duration of a work permit corresponds with that of the employment contract.
- For further information about the termination of a work permit: Click here, then scroll down to page 6, point 5
Work permit Exemptions
Foreigners who work in some professions do not require a work permit in Azerbaijan. These include:
- Employees of diplomatic missions
Employees and top management of international companies
- Business people who stay in Azerbaijan for less than three months
- Teaching staff
- Mass media employees
- For a full list of specialities and employees who are exempt from a work permit: Click here, then scroll down to page 2, point 1.5
Employees who carry out certain kinds of work (for example engineering design works, medical services) are granted a special permit.
- For further information about the special permit: Click here (PDF)
A medical certificate is required for a work permit (and therefore temporary resident permit) application. Only a medical certificate which has been issued in Azerbaijan is considered valid. There are two centres in Baku which issue the medical certificate:
- Republican Diagnostic Centre
At: 3166 Tbilisi Avenue, Baku
- International Medical Centre
At: 11 B A. Molla Juma Street, Baku