Gas and Electricity in Belgium

Find out how to get connected to Belgian gas and electricity suppliers...

The Belgian electricity and natural gas markets is deregulated, allowing consumers to choose from a range of companies. In order to help the consumer, two services have been set up to enable comparison of various suppliers' prices for gas and electricity.


More than 50 percent of Belgium's electricity is generated by seven nuclear reactors in the country. Most Belgian electricity is produced by Electrabel. A small amount of electricity is also produced by Luminus.

Electricity and gas companies in Belgium are regulated by the Commission for Regulation of Electricity and Gas (La Commission de Regulation de l'Electricite et du Gaz). The commission fulfils two roles: it makes sure laws and regulations are adhered to, and it also acts in an advisory capacity to public authorities.

  • Electrabel
    Tel: 078 35 33 33
  • Sibelga
    : Rue des Poissonniers 13, 1000 Brussels
    Tel: 02 549 41 00
  • Essent (in French & Dutch)
    At: Veldkant 7, 2550 Kontich
    Tel: 07 815 79 79
  • ENI Gas & Power
    : Medialaan 34, 1800 Brussels
    Tel: 078 15 29 29
  • Luminus (in French & Dutch)
    Tel: 078 15 51 00
  • For a comprehensive list of gas and electricity suppliers: Click here

Getting connected: gas and electricity

If moving to a property that already has a gas or electricity supply: one week before the move, contact the gas or electricity company and request a transfer form. This form should be filled out by both the old and new tenants as connection to an existing system usually only requires a change of details. It will be necessary to provide a meter reading. If the meter is not accessible, contact the company, who will send out an agent to take a reading.

If moving to a property where the gas or electricity supplies have not been connected, call the relevant company, who will arrange to send out a technician to connect the supply.

Changing gas or electricity supplier

With the deregulation of gas and electricity, customers can choose supplier. In order to do so, it is necessary to provide the following information to the present supplier:

  • EAN (European Article Numbering) code (can be obtained from the present supplier)
  • Yearly consumption mentioned on the last yearly invoice
  • Tariff applicable with the present contract (this is mentioned under the heading DonnĂ©es de Facturation on the last yearly invoice)

The new supplier will take over at least one month after the new contract has been signed.

Billing and meter readings

Estimated electricity bills are sent out monthly, bi-monthly or quarterly depending on the chosen supplier. Annual meter readings are carried out automatically by all the utility companies and the bill is then readjusted in line with the consumption. If an interim meter reading is needed, contact the relevant utility company and ask them to send out a technician.

Payment of bills

The usual method of payment is via bank transfer or direct debit, but bills may also be paid by cheque.

Moving/disconnecting services

Notify the local agencies two weeks before moving house. A final meter reading (where possible) is usually required, as well as a forwarding address where the final bills may be sent. If moving to another property in the same region, it is usually possible to transfer client details from one property to another.


The voltage in Belgium is 230V - 50Hz.

Note: A country's available voltage is printed on the glass of a light bulb, or the light bulb packet.


Belgium uses the standard European two-pin plug and socket.


Household appliances from a country with a different frequency and voltage (such as the United States, where it is 110 volts - 60 Hz) may need a transformer and/or adaptor in order to function properly (or at all). Appliances from the UK, and elsewhere in Europe, will work in Belgium without the need for a transformer, although a plug adapter or change of plug is needed.