Domestic Water Supplies in Belgium

Understanding the Belgian water supply system and the different providers involved...


Each region has its own water company. To set up a contract the following information is required:

  • The address of the property
  • The name of the new occupant
  • The moving-in date
  • The meter reading
  • Copy of the new occupant's passport or identity card

Brussels region

In the Brussels-Capital region the water supplier is the Intercommunale Bruxelloise de Distribution d'Eau (IBDE) / Brusselse Intercommunale voor Waterdistributie (BIWD)

  • IBDE (in French) / BIWD (in Dutch)
    : Boulevard de l'Impératrice 17-19, 1000 Bruxelles
    : 02 518 81 11
  • Emergency Service 24/7
    Tel: 02 739 52 11

To set up a contract with IBDE/BIWD fill in a form (also available from the address above).

Note: the form must be signed by the new occupant and by the landlord or previous owner

If moving to a new property or one that has been left empty, a visit from an IBDE/BIWD agent will be required as the meter will need to be re-started.

Flanders region

The water company for the region of Flanders is the Vlaamse Maatschappij voor Watervoorziening, VMW.

  • To find a local address and telephone number for the VMW: Click here

Wallonia region

The water company for Wallonia is the Société Wallonne des Distributions d'Eau (SWDE).

  • SWDE (in French)
    At: Rue de la Concorde 41, 4800 Verviers
    Tel: 08 787 87 87 (French)
    Tel: 08 787 87 88 (German)
    Tel: 08 787 87 89 (Dutch)
  • Emergency service 24/7
    Tel:  08 787 87 87
  • To request the necessary forms for setting up a contract with SWDE online: Click here