Registration Process for EU Member-State Citizens

Understand the residency rules for European Union citizens moving to Belgium...

On arrival in Belgium, EU and EEA nationals intending to stay more than three months must register in person at their local town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis) within eight working days. This adds the registrant to a national register of residents. A temporary receipt is issued and, upon confirmation of information, notification is sent to the applicant that the card is available for collection. This could take several months.

Required documents may include:

  • A valid passport or identity card issued by their country of origin
  • Three passport photographs
  • Proof of means of support, such as a letter from an employer (attestation patronale/verklaring van de werkgever)
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Medical insurance
  • In some cases, a birth certificate or marriage certificate (it may be necessary to certify and translate these)

Some family members living with the resident are also covered by these simplified procedures:

  • The spouse
  • Descendants of the resident and his/her spouse, aged under 18<
  • Parents of the resident or his/her spouse
  • Spouses of those who qualify under the above two provisions

After registration, the municipality issues the EEA/EU foreigner an electronic foreigners card (la carte électronique pour étrangers/Elektronische vreemdelingenkaart). This card is not a residence permit; it serves as identification and indicates that the holder has been included in the national register. The “E Card” is normally valid for five years.

  • Newintown provides more information: Click here (in French)
  • For more information about the Foreigners Card: Click here
  • For detailed information about the card: Click here (PDF)

Non-EU national family members

As with all other foreigners, non-EU family members intending to stay in Belgium for more than 90 days must register with municipal authorities within eight days of arrival in Belgium. After registration, the municipality will issue an electronic foreigners card for non-EU/EEA family members of EU/EEA nationals. This is normally valid for five years.