Registration Process for Non-EU Nationals

Understand which visas and permits are required for non-EU citizens...

Before arrival in Belgium, non-EU nationals and nationals of new EU-member states must apply for a long-stay visa if it is required. Long-stay visas are only issued for work, study, to live with partners or for family reunification.

Non-EU nationals must register at the nearest municipal office within eight days of arrival in Belgium. Once approved and registered, the registrant will receive a residence permit.

  • For more information from the Belgian government: Click here
  • For detailed information about visas: Click here (in French)

Documents which may be required:

  • A valid passport or identity card issued by the applicants country of origin
  • At least three passport photographs
  • A certificate of good conduct/criminal background check pertaining to the prior five years (issued by the national police of the former country or countries of residence)
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Medical certificate from a doctor approved by the Belgian government
  • Birth certificate or marriage certificate (it may be necessary to certify and translate these)
  • Birth certificates for the children of the applicant

Once resident in Belgium, resident foreigners may travel within Europe to countries that have signed the Schengen Treaty.