Importing a Vehicle from Within the European Union

Find out about the tax and registration requirements for vehicles imported from another EU country...

Anyone wishing to import their vehicle in to Belgium will be asked to provide the following documentation to the customs authorities:
  • Residency permit showing a permanent address in Belgium
  • Proof of purchase for the vehicle to be imported
  • Previous registration document
No import tax will be payable if these conditions are met.


Customs clearance is handled by the Administration des Douanes et Accises/Administratie der Douane en Accijnzen. Note: UK citizens have other obligations if they permanently export a vehicle. Full details are given on the government website.


Registration of the vehicle is then handled by the DIV. It records the vehicle as on the road in Belgium and also issues the number plate (plaque d'immatriculation/inschrijvingsplaat). In Belgium, the licence plate remains the property of the owner and can be transferred to another vehicle in the event of a sale/purchase. Again, this process is handled by the DIV. In order to register a vehicle in Belgium, and therefore to receive a licence plate, the following documentation must be presented to the DIV:
  • Proof of residency
  • A certificate of conformity for the vehicle (attestation de conformité/attest van conformite). This is usually supplied by the vehicle manufacturer or local agent. Many will ask for a copy of the registration documents
  • The invoice/proof of purchase for the vehicle
  • The vehicle's original registration certificate (certificat d'immatriculation/inschrijvingsbewijs)
  • Evidence of insurance cover, provided by a Belgian insurer
  • Customs clearance forms, provided by the Customs department
  • A vehicle-roadworthiness certificate (controle technique/Autokeuring). To find a local testing centre: Test Centres
  • The registration application form. This is available from the DIV, from roadworthiness test centres, or from insurance companies. It must have the customs and insurance stickers attached. There is just one application form, which covers all types of vehicle (cars, scooters) and all situations (new, second hand and imported).
  • The required fees. This will include a one-off introduction tax (taxe de mise en circulation/belasting op de inverkeerstelling) and an annual road tax (taxe de circulation/verkeersbelasting), dependent on the size of the vehicle's engine
  • Fiscal tax stamps (available from Post Offices)
Note: Copies of documents are not accepted. As long as all these documents are in order, the licence plate will be issued within a few days, and will be sent in the post if a postal application has been made. If application is in person then the licence plate can be issued on the spot by the DIV office. The plate then needs to be attached to the rear of the vehicle, and a second one needs to be made up for the front, at the owner's cost. It is also possible to fill in the application on Internet, on WebDIV. It then needs to be printed out and brought to the insurance company, who will finalise the registration online. The number plates and certificate will then arrive quickly by mail.

Other Vehicles

Scooters and mopeds also need to be imported and registered correctly. The DIV needs the same documentation as for cars, including customs clearance, VAT clearance, original registration documents and a certificate of conformity.