Employees - Work Permits

Understand the different work permits available in Belgium and which applies to your situation...

Essentially there are three types of work permit (permis de travail/arbeidskaart) in Belgium.

A Permit - Permis/Arbeidskaart A

This sort of permit has an unlimited validity and allows the holder to work in any sector of the economy. It is issued to those who can prove four years' employment in Belgium covered by a B permit within a period of up to ten years of legal residency in Belgium. The permit A application form, obtained from the employment office of the regional government and a form stating personal details signed and stamped by the municipality where the applicant resides are needed.

B Permit - Permis/Arbeidskaart B

A B permit is issued for those who do not have the right to an A or C permit. It is valid for one employer only and for a maximum of one year. The employer must obtain an authorisation of employment (Autorisation d'occupation/arbeidsvergunning) and work permit in the employment office of the local regional government. The documents required for each application will depend on the category of work.The following documents must be included in the application:

  • A medical certificate
  • A form stating personal details (feuille de renseignements)
  • A work contract

Citizens of the new EU Member States need a work permit, but have a fast-track procedure for B permits for some professions.

A work permit B can be renewed, but if a holder changes employer then a new B permit is needed, together with a new residence visa. They are only issued if no Belgian or EU national can fill the job.

C Permit - Permis/Arbeidskaart C

A C permit is issued to those staying in Belgium temporarily and is valid for a maximum of one year. It is valid for all employers and salaried professions but are usually issued for agricultural or domestic workers or for people with a situation that is likely to change, such as students.

Application forms for a C permit can be obtained from the employment office in the commune where the applicant resides or online:

Further Information