Moving House in Brazil

The essential facts you need and things to be remembered when moving house (around the corner or across the country) in Brazil...

Moving house generally requires endless planning and preparation: here are some specifics to remember when doing it in Brazil. A good command of Portuguese is required for these steps.

When moving house in Brazil, all personal documents such as the Individual Taxpayers Card (Cadastro de Pessoa Física - CPF), driving license (Carteira de Habilitação), vehicle registration documents (Certificado de Registro e Licenciamento do Veículo - CRLV) and labor card (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS) must be updated individually with the person's new address at the relevant administrative location.

In some Brazilian states, all of these administrative tasks can be carried out at one-stop service centers known as Poupatempo (literally meaning "timesaver"). In other Brazilian states these administrative tasks can be  carried out as Citizen service centers (Serviço de Atendimento ao Cidadão – SAC)

The Portuguese term for alterations due to a name/address change or due to loss is segunda via.

The foreigner's identity card (Cédula de Identidade para Estrangeiro - CIE), which contains the Registro National De Estrangeiro - RNE (the identity number for non-nationals), will need to be updated at the local Federal Police office within 30 days of moving house.

Disconnecting Utilities

For those vacating rented property, the estate agency responsible or the owner of the property may take care of terminating utilities contracts. It is suggested to inquire.

Service providers will need to be informed of the move, and forwarding addresses should be given to the electricity and telephone companies. For gas services, a final meter reading will often need to be taken, in order to calculate any final payments that must be made before leaving the property. Water supply is generally registered to the property itself, rather than the owner, who will need to inform the relevant supplier of their departure so that their name can be removed from the address.

  • For more information about disconnecting utilities see the Setting up Home section


Banks should be notified of the customer's new address before the move. Cancel any old automatic payments for rent or other services and set up a new one if the new address has a new landlord. Once the move is completed, documentary proof of the new address - such as a tenancy agreement or utility bill - may be required.

Social Security

The social security agency (Previdência Social) needs to be contacted and informed of the change of address.

  • To find a local Social Welfare office: Click here


International schools often ask for written notice, sent to the head teacher at least one school term in advance, advising of a child’s departure from the school. In exceptional circumstances when a father or mother has been transferred abroad with less than one school term notice, it may be possible to discuss the situation with the school; and, on a case-by-case basis, the notice period can be avoided. If a parent does not give sufficient notice they may be required to pay the bill for the full school term.

Reports and certificates will be prepared by the school, indicating to which level of education the child has reached. Reports can be prepared in the native language of the child.

A reasonable amount of notice should be given of a child’s departure from a public school in Brazil, but the rules are not stringently enforced. Certificates can be prepared (in Portuguese) that certify the child’s academic level. Outstanding bills for any school fees, transport or meals should be settled. Leave a forwarding address for any correspondence.

Moving and Rented Property

The tenant may give 30 days' notice to the owner at any time, but will forfeit one month’s rent and charges as a tax to be paid to the owner.

If the tenant's employer transfers the tenant to another place of work, the tenant must still give 30 days' written notice to the owner, but will not have to pay the charges. There must be proof of the transfer (provided by the tenant’s employer).

The notice should be in written form and given or sent to the landlord. There is no requirement by law for the letter to be sent by recorded delivery, but it is recommended.

Mail Forwarding

There is no mail forwarding service offered by the Brazilian Post Office (Correios).