General Taxes in Brazil

Understand the Brazilian tax system. Find out who has to pay and how to go about it...

In Brazil, the general principles of taxation are defined by the Federal Constitution. Taxes are levied at the Union, Federal District, state and municipality levels.

The Cadastro de Pessoa Física - CPF is an Individual Taxpayer Number and is required for many everyday transactions in Brazil.

Social Security (Seguridade Social)

In Brazil all self-employed individuals as well as employees of companies must pay social security contributions to the National Institute of Social Security (Instituto Nacional do Seguro Social - INSS) of the Ministry of Social Welfare (Ministério da Previdência Social). This contribution guarantees that the contributor or their family will receive money in the event of illness, injury, accident, pregnancy or death of the payee. An employee will withhold on payments to individuals such contributions at rates ranging from 8 to 11 percent; a self-employed individual will pay 20 percent.

Monthly Salary (R$) Percentage (%)
Up to 1.174,86 8
1.174,87 to 1.958,10 9
1.958,11 to 3.916,20 11
  • Self-employed workers can register to pay into the Social Welfare fund online: Click here (in Portuguese)

The Ministry of Social Welfare has a helpline for information. Calls are free unless calling from a mobile phone.

  • Ministry of Social Welfare
    Tel: 135 (Monday to Saturday 07:00-22:00 Brasília time; summer hours: 08:00-23:00)

Every effort has been made to offer information that is current, correct and clearly expressed. The information in this summary is intended to be no more than a general overview of the position and certain details have been deliberately omitted. The contents of this page should not be taken as an authoritative statement of Brazilian law and practice. Neither the author nor the publisher are responsible for the results of actions taken on the basis of information contained in this summary, nor for any errors or omissions. This text is not intended to render legal, accounting or tax advice. Readers are encouraged to seek professional advice concerning specific matters before making any decision.

Prepared by, Antonio Amendola, partner, Felsberg e Associados At: Av. Paulista 1294, 2nd floor, Cerqueira Cesar, 01310-915 e-mail