Insuring a Vehicle in Brazil

General information on taking out and canceling a Brazilian insurance policy...

The road tax in Brazil includes compulsory limited third party insurance cover. This is known as Danos Pessoais Causados por Veículos Automotores de Vias Terrestres (DPVAT), which means "personal injury caused by road vehicles".

This is sometimes referred to as Seguro Obrigatório, or compulsory insurance. This ensures all vehicles have minimum third-party cover and victims of road accidents will receive damages or compensation for serious injuries or death caused by an otherwise uninsured vehicle, regardless of culpability. It is operated by FENASEG (The Federation of National Private Insurance and Capitalisation Firms).

  • For further information on the DPVAT insurance system: Click here (in Portuguese)
  • National information line Tel: 0800 022 1204

No other insurance is obligatory. Because of the poor state of many roads, driving conditions, high volume of traffic and high incidence of vehicle-related crime, more comprehensive cover - or at least cover for theft of vehicle and contents - is advisable.

Many private insurance companies provide motor insurance, and in many cases policies can be arranged by visiting the office, by post, telephone or online. Most insurers have a range of policies with varying levels of cover, excess, and premiums, which depend on age, previous claims and convictions and driving experience.

Types of Insurance

The primary types of cover are:

  • Third Party (Segura Contra Terceiros)
  • Third Party with Fire and Theft Cover (Segura Contra Terceiros, Incêndios e Roubos)
  • Fully Comprehensive (Seguro Total)

Excess fees exist at varying levels, depending on the policy, and are called Franquia.

No claims bonus/discounts exist and are called bonus/disconto. They may be transferable from other countries or between policies in Brazil, depending on the policy and policy providers. Annual rates may increase if a claim is made when an accident was the driver's fault; if the driver has no accidents the rates will decrease.

Refunds may be available on canceled policies, depending on the exact details of the policy contract.

In the event of an accident

In the event of a minor accident, take the name, address and insurance details of all parties involved and any witnesses and the registration numbers of the vehicles. There is no specific accident report form that needs to be used. For more serious accidents, the police will provide a Report Form to be sent to the insurance company as soon as possible.

Stolen cars and insurance

If a car is stolen - or broken into - contact the nearest Civil or Military Police station.

Once the police are informed, a crime incident number and a police report are issued. These are needed to make an insurance claim.

Canceling Insurance

The notice period and the procedure for canceling an insurance policy on a vehicle will depend on the policy provider.

Further Information