Leaving Bulgaria and Moving On

Find out how to close bank accounts, end contracts for utilities and insurance, and notify schools and residency officials when leaving Bulgaria...

When leaving Bulgaria and moving on, there are a number of tasks to be completed before departure.

Local Authorities

The authority in charge of the issue, cancelling or extending of resident permits in Bulgaria is the National Migration Directorate (???????? ????????) and its local branches in the system of the local Public Order Police Departments.

Before leaving Bulgaria permanently, it is necessary to hand in the residence permit at the local Police Department as the residence permit will no longer be valid after leaving the country.

Local Schools

When leaving Bulgaria both the Bulgarian school and the school in the destination country should be notified in advance. The principal of Bulgarian old school issues a transfer certificate (????????????? ?? ???????????). Principals are also responsible for notifying the local municipality of the transfer, in writing.

If a child has been attending a private or international school, the procedure is generally to inform the administration department of the school (in advance) so that the necessary academic documents can be prepared for the new school.

If a child has been enrolled in a state school, the procedure is similar, but state schools do not usually issue documentation in a language other than Bulgarian. These documents may need to be translated by an official translator before leaving the country.

Leave a forwarding address for any correspondence.

Social Security

When leaving Bulgaria permanently registration with the national health (??????? ??????????) and the national social security (???????? ??????????) should be cancelled. A declaration must be filed with the local National Social Security Institute (?????????? ???????????? ????????).

  • To find a local office: Click here and select "contacts"

After filing the declaration, the Institute issues a form with all the health security and social security instalments paid during the stay in Bulgaria.

The amount of insurance paid should then be taken to the corresponding foreign national health and social security offices. If the country has signed an agreement with Bulgaria, which can be checked with the Embassy or Consulate, the instalments paid may be transferred to the destination country's social security regime.


Anyone who has decided to leave the country and will no longer be paying taxes in Bulgaria must go to the local National Revenue Agency office (?????????? ??????? ?? ?????????) and file a declaration. If the taxes paid during the period of stay in the country have exceeded the amount due, they may qualify for a tax reimbursement.

Terminating a Rental Contract

The termination period of a rental contract can vary depending on the clauses in the agreement between the landlord and the tenant. The usual notice period is at least a month. The landlord should refund the deposit to the tenant at the end of the notice period, but the tenant must pay all the bills due.



The three main providers of electricity in Bulgaria are CEZ (for western Bulgaria), E.ON (for north-eastern Bulgaria) and EVN (for south-eastern Bulgaria). According to their place of residence, customers use the services of one of these providers.

To disconnect the electricity supply: at least 30 days before moving post or take written notification to the relevant customer service centre. Provide the customer number (as shown on the electricity bill) and proof of identity. Once an application to disconnect services has been filed, an appointment is set for a technician to read the meters at the address; a statement of all due payments is issued.

  • For contact information and working hours of CEZ customer service centres: Click here
  • For addresses and opening hours of E.ON customer centres: Click here
  • For contact information of EVN centres: Click here (in Bulgarian)


Overgas (???????) is the main private gas retailer in Bulgaria with the largest network of regional distribution companies in the country.

  • Tel: 0700 11 110

Customers should contact their local Customer Service Centre for information on the procedures for contract termination and the required notification period.

  • For a list of Customer Service Centres in the country: Click here (in Bulgarian)


A request for disconnection of the water supply is made at the local Customer Service Centre. The required documents include the customer's proof of identity, a document certifying ownership of the property or a rental contract and the customer number. After filing the application, an employee of the company visits the address, reads the water meter and cuts the water supply.

Some of the major water supply companies in Bulgaria are:


The Bulgarian Telecommunications Company or BTC (????????? ?????????????????? ???????? - ???) is the national provider of home telephone services. To disconnect the telephone service go in person to the nearest Vivatel BTC shop. The only document required is the subscriber's identity document for verification purposes. Then pay the last bill due; the service is disconnected immediately.

  • For contact information and opening hours of BTC shops around the country: Click here

Cable television and satellite

Cancellations of a cable or satellite subscription may be made at the local customer service office or via telephone. Proof of identity and the customer number are required.

For further information from the providers contact the relevant company below or see the website:

  • CableTEL (?????????
    Tel: 04 800 111 (for English-speaking clients) or 0700 43 700
  • Bulsatcom (?????????)
    Tel: 0800 13 800
  • ITV Partner
    Tel: 0800 12 500 or 02 912 500

Bank Accounts

To close a bank account in Bulgaria go to the branch where the account was opened, with identification documents.

Generally, if the amount of money in the account exceeds the equivalent of €10,000 and the account holder wishes to withdraw it in cash, the bank will arrange for the withdrawal to take place on the following day or within a few days.

To transfer the money to another account, order a bank transfer to the new account.

Cancelling home, Car and Other Insurance

To cancel an insurance policy, go to the local office of the insurance company concerned.

Exporting a Car

Vehicles registered in Bulgaria may leave the country with the Bulgarian licence plates. Contact the local Embassy or Consulate for information on registration procedures and local regulations in the destination country.

Exporting Pets

Depending on the destination, some animals may require a period of quarantine. They will almost certainly require documentation and possible additional vaccinations or similar medical treatment.

Most domestic pets require documentation before they can travel. The EU Pet Passport covers dogs, cats and ferrets for movement within Europe and the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS) allows qualifying domestic pets to travel to and from the UK without a period of quarantine.

Be aware that sudden outbreaks of diseases (such as avian flu) can affect pet travel. As a general rule animals have to travel in approved containers and by approved routes.