Consular Services for Foreign Residents in Canada

Foreign consulates provide services for citizens in need, including replacement of lost or stolen passports and help and advice in difficult situations...

Citizens of the USA, United Kingdom, Ireland and Australia living in Canada can access information from the Consular sections of their relevant Embassies or High Commissions.

Click on the appropriate link below to access the home page of each of these four embassies or High Commissions in Canada.

Consular Help for EU Nationals

Under EU law, an EU citizen is entitled to consular help from any EU consular representation abroad if their own country is not represented locally. This applies outside the EU to EU citizens who are either residing or travelling abroad. Any EU Embassy or Consulate must provide help to an EU citizen under the same conditions as they would their nationals.

Information on the type of help available and details to foreign consulates and Embassies can be found on the European Commission's website, Consular Protection for EU Citizens.

USA: American Citizens

The US Citizens Service consular section provides passport services, registration of births, information on visas, federal benefits, notary services, voting information, as well as offering emergency assistance to American citizens in distress.

  • For information from the Canadian Embassy in the United States: Click here
  • For a full listing of US consulates in Canada: Click here
  • US citizens resident in Canada are eligible to vote in American elections

US citizens living or travelling abroad are encouraged to register with their nearest Embassy or Consulate in order to receive up-to-date travel and security information and to make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of an emergency.

UK Citizens

The British High Commission, Ottawa has up-to-date news on matters relating to Canadian-British relations, as well as much information on trade and investment between Canada and the UK.

The British High Commission and Consulate offers many services to British citizens in Canada. These include:

  • Registering births and deaths and issuing certified copies of certificates
  • Certifying documents
  • Providing information about transferring funds
  • Providing help for those who are victim of a crime or in hospital
  • Providing contact details of lawyers

The website has information various aspects of life in Canada.

British passports are not issued by the British High Commission in Ottawa. Applications for first passports and renewals must be sent to HM Passport Office in the UK.

  • To apply for a UK passport while overseas: Click here

Irish Citizens

The Embassy of Ireland in Canada provides help and advice in emergency situations to Irish citizens resident or travelling in Canada, Jamaica and The Bahamas. The website provides information on travel between Ireland and Canada and has a section for Irish citizens living, studying and working in Canada.

  • Embassy of Ireland
    : Suite 1105, (11th Floor), 130 Albert St, Ottawa, ON, K1P 5G4
    Tel: 1 613 233 6281
    Fax: 1 613 233 5835

Services provided by the Irish Embassy include:

  • Passport services
  • Visa Services
  • Authentication of documents
  • Emergency assistance

Australian Citizens

The Australian High Commission in Ottawa provides services to Australians in Canada and Bermuda. Services provided include:

  • Issuing emergency passports
  • Providing travel advice
  • Witnessing and certifying signatures
  • Providing a list of doctors and lawyers
  • Australian High Commission
    : Suite 710, 50 O'Connor Street, Ottawa, ON K1P 6L2
    Tel: 613 236 0841
    Out of hours emergency Tel: 1 800 364 9180
    Fax: 613 216 1321