Postal Services in China
Find out how the Chinese postal system works with details on mail forwarding services and sending letters and parcels...
Postal services in China are run by China Post. The company is entirely owned by the state. China Post offers a wide range of postal and other services; there are branches in most towns and cities, though express services are only available in larger branches. Many packages, such as books and newspapers, must be sent from an authorised post office.
Envelopes, stamps and phone cards can be bought in Chinese post offices which are generally open between 09:00 and 16:00. There are numerous styles of post box in China.
Express mail in China
EMS or Express Mail Services offer customers quick delivery of mail, including next day services. They are available at larger post offices. Below is an outline of the main EMS services available in China:
- Express delivery is available in much of the country for the fast delivery of documents and packages. For more information: Click here
- The Domestic Economy Express service is designed for the safe delivery of expensive goods. For more information: Click here
- Next Morning Delivery is available in much of the country. For more information: Click here
- The Domestic Expedited Parcel service is for the posting of parcels within China. Packages are mainly transported by road
International express mail
There are also a number of dedicated services for posting parcels, letters and documents to countries outside China:
- The International Express Mail service allows people to post documents, letters and goods to countries around the world. There are a number of tracking services which allow people to follow the progress of the item they posted. For more information: Click here
- China International Express offers customers another option for international postage with good tracking facilities. For more information: Click here
- The International Parcel service allows people to send parcels and packages around the world. Items can either be posted at a post office or be collected for shipment by a courier. For more information: Click here
Gift delivery services
Increasing demand has led to the formation of specialised gift delivery services both within China and around the world.
Many of the services offered come with tracking facilities which allow customers to follow the progress of their delivery either online or by telephoning the Customer Service Hotline (Tel: 11183).
Some items cannot be sent via any EMS service.
- For a complete list of banned products: Click here
The cost of many standard postage options can be viewed online.
- To view postage costs: Click here
Other Post Office services
China Post also offers a variety of other services including: flight bookings, personalised greetings cards, newspaper and magazine subscriptions, online payment services, hotel reservations and online shopping services.
Postal Savings Bank
China Post runs the Postal Savings Bank of China where customers can access many general banking services. Products available include foreign currency financial products which allow customers to manage their foreign currency investments. There are foreign currency deposit and withdrawal services which are very flexible. International money transfers are possible to many countries through cooperation with banks around the world.
- For further information on the Postal Savings Bank: Click here