Road Traffic Accidents

Information on what to do if you are involved in a car accident in China: who to call and how to fill in the accident report document for insurance after a car crash...

Both third party liability and accident insurance are compulsory in China, and are known as compulsory traffic insurance. This compulsory insurance covers the injury or death of a third party in the event of an accident.

What to do in the Event of an Accident

Anyone involved in a car accident in China, including witnesses, should stay at the scene. It is a serious offence not to do so and harsh penalties may apply to people who do. The police should be called. In the event of a serious accident, or one requiring the assistance of police, the following telephone numbers should be used:

  • Traffic police - 122
  • Ambulance - 120
  • Fire brigade - 119

It is a good idea to take photographs of the damage immediately, if possible.

Chinese law states that if someone is in danger then other individuals involved must try to help them. People involved in a rescue following an accident should mark the original position of anything they move; the original state of the accident should be preserved as much as possible for the police and any other authorities involved.

The police assess the scene of the accident and draw up a responsibility identification notice. This is needed to make a claim from an insurance company. It should be noted that in China it is not unusual for the party whose car caused any injuries inflicted in an accident to pay for the resulting medical costs, irrespective of fault.

Notify the insurer

Following an accident the insurance company should be contacted to make a "settlement of claim". The time taken to process an insurance claim in China can sometimes be slow.