Colombia Administration Offices

Contact information for the national and local administrative centres of Colombia, including where to go for residency papers, vehicle registration papers, driving licences and more...

When relocating or travelling to Colombia for reasons other than tourism, it is necessary to apply beforehand for a study or work visa at the embassy or consulate in the country of origin. On entering the country there are a series of procedures that need to be dealt with at various administration offices.


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores) is the authority that deals with immigration, work permits and other situations that may arise when coming to live in Colombia.

  • At: Calle 100 Nº 11B-27. Zona Norte, Bogotá
    Tel: 018000 510454 or (1) 5111150
    : Monday to Saturday 08:00-16:00

Registro de Visa: Every person holding a visa valid for more than three months is required to register their visa with the Ministry within 15 days of entering the country, or within 15 days of the issuing date if the visa was issued inside Colombia. The registration can be made in person at the Ministry offices or online on the Immigration website.

Cédula de Extranjería: Foreigners need to apply for a personal identification card known as a Cédula de Extranjería. Applications must be made within 15 days of the visa issue date or of arrival in the country, and within three working days of registering the visa.

Permiso Temporal de Permanencia: The permit is an extension of the original entry and stay permit for foreigners, and can be for up to 90 days, at the discretion of the authorities. It must be requested before the previous permit expires.

Tax Administration

The Directorate of Taxes and Customs office (Dirección de Impuestos y Aduanas Nacionales - DIAN) is the authority that handles all tax-related issues, registration for tax records and tax declarations. Registration is mandatory and free for anybody engaging in commercial activities in the country, regardless of nationality or residence. The register is known as the RUT (Unified Tax Registry). Registration must be completed for the first time at any of the offices, and updates and copies can be obtained online. General information is available from the call centre.

  • Tel: 018000 129080 or (1) 5462200
    Open: Monday to Friday 06:00-20:00; Saturday and public holidays 08:00-14:00
  • Appointments can be scheduled through their appointment line
    Tel: (1) 3198585
    Open: Monday to Friday 07:00-16:30

Civil Registry

The National Registry Office (Registraduría Nacional del Estado Civil) is responsible for all matters relating to voting, identification and national records. This authority issues birth certificates, ID cards (tarjetas de identidad) for children over seven years of age and national ID cards (cédulas) for adults over 18 years of age, as well as wedding and divorce certificates, and death certificates.