Applying For Residency
Find out the documents required in Colombia when applying for a temporary or permanent residency visa...
General requirements for all visa applications include:
- Completed DP-FO-67 application form
- Valid passport or travel document with two blank pages
- Three recent photos (4x3cm in size) in colour on a white background
- Copy of biographical page of the passport and page showing latest Colombian visa if applicable
All documents issued abroad and official documents in a language other than Spanish must be officially translated and Apostilled/legalised.
Holders of a temporary visa for five continuous years will also need to provide the following
- Copy of the relevant visa held and the safe-conducts (SC-1 / SC-2)
- Migratory Movement Certificate if requested
- Holders of a TP-10 visa need a signed letter from the spouse or permanent partner requesting the permit is issued
Specific Requirements for Eligibility
In addition, other documents may be required to be eligible for permanent residency:
Returning former national:
- An affixed Apostille on a copy of the document of renouncement of Colombian nationality if after 1994. Otherwise a statement of the year in which the nationality was lost or renounced
- Completed DP-FO-66 visa application form
Newborns where both parents are non-Colombian nationals:
- Child's birth certificate
- Visa application letter by the parents stating they will fulfil all child support obligations, or a letter from the parents stating that the child will apply for the RE Visa once of age
Newborns with one parent who is a Colombian national:
- Child's birth certificate
- Signed letter by the Colombian parent that the non-national is meeting child support duties
Eligibility through investment:
- Proof of an investment in stock or real estate equal to or greater than 650 Colombian minimum monthly salaries (approximately US$200,000)
All of the above resident visas can be cancelled if the holder is absent from Colombian territory for two years or greater during the visa period.
Visa applications can be made in Colombia at the visa office in Bogatá:
- At: Sede Norte: Avenida 19 Nº 98 - 03 Edificio Torre 100 Piso 3º, Bogatá
Open: Monday to Friday 07:30-12:00 (for applications in person); Monday to Friday 14:00-15:00 (for persons having made applications online)
With all relevant paperwork, the application process at the visa office is as follows:
- Present your passport and details at the front desk and receive a receipt requiring payment plus a digi-number relating to your turn in line
- Take the receipt and pay in cash at the on-site bank for the visa application review
- Wait in the lounge until your number is called and meet with a visa application officer
- If accepted, take the receipt given to you by the officer and pay the outstanding balance before picking up the passport with the visa
Alternatively, applications can be registered online on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. It is not a requirement but may speed up the process when applying in person.
A guide to the online application including the payment procedure and conditions relating to the uploading of documents can be viewed online (PDF).