ID Cards for Foreigners - Cédula de Extranjería
Find out how to register for the Cédula de Extranjería <strong>– </strong>the Identity Card for foreigners living in Colombia, and how to apply for Colombian nationality...
Holders of a visa valid for more than three months must register with Migración Colombia and apply for a foreigner's identity card (Cédula de Extranjería). Registration is required within 15 days of the visa issue date or arrival in the country. The Cédula is valid for the length of the visa obtained, unless it is for an RE visa in which case it is valid for five years.
As of 2014 it is a requirement for all minors aged 3-18 to hold a Cédula de Extranjeríá if the parent holds a visa in excess of three months.
The card is valid for the length of the visa obtained unless it is for an RE visa in which case it is valid for five years.
- Applications for the Cédula and registration can be carried out at any regional office
The documents required for the Cédula de Extranjeríá application are:
- Photocopies of biographical page of passport and all pages containing Colombia entry/exit stamps
- Copy of the most recent Colombian visa
- Document proving blood group for each individual applicant
- Completed application form Formato Único Trámites available from the official office or online
- Three colour passport photos on a white background (4x3cm)
- Signed letter of authorisation from the parent to allow a minor to have their digital fingerprints taken, if applicable
- Receipt of payment deposited into the current account of Migracion Colombia (No. 263-05464-5) via any branch of Banco de Occidente or Banco de Bogatá if in Maicao, Leticia or Arauca. Payments can also be made by credit card at some application offices (centros facilitadores de servicios migratorio)
The document can be ready within two weeks but may often take longer. It is possible to find out if the Cédula is ready for collection via the Registraduria website.
- Find out more about the Cédula de Extranjería
A foreigner resident in Colombia for five years from the date of issue on the RE visa may apply for Colombian nationality in order to vote in national elections, hold public office and to obtain a Colombian passport.
Latin Americans and citizens from the Caribbean may apply after one year following the issue of the RE visa. Those married to a Colombian national or citizens of Spanish nationality by birth may apply after two years following the issue of the RE visa.
Applications are made at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores). It is necessary to pass an oral test in Spanish, which tests knowledge of the language, history, constitution and geography of Colombia (unless a graduate of a Colombian University). In addition the applicant must include a letter requesting nationality and the reason behind it.
There is a fee for the process, which must be paid into the Citibank current account of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Find out more about the documents required and the procedure when applying for Colombian naturalisation