Road Traffic Accidents

Information on what to do if you are involved in a car accident in Colombia: who to call, and how to fill in the accident report document for insurance after a car crash...

In the event of a serious accident where someone is injured contact the national emergency number.

  • Tel: 123

For all accidents, contact the Traffic Authorities (Tel: 112). The traffic police will go to the scene of the accident and write an accident report, which will be passed on to the insurance companies.

The emergency number in Bogotá is:

  • Transit and accidents (Transito y accidentes)
    Tel: 127 (24-hour line) or (1)3601884

In the event of an accident, do not move the car until authorized by the traffic police. The drivers involved should present their driver's license, proof of identity (cédula) proof of compulsory insurance (SOAT) and registration documents of the vehicle to the police on request.

Anyone involved in the accident should take photographs of the scene of the accident and take contact details of all witnesses.

It is not uncommon for drivers to exchange driver and insurance details in the event of minor accidents and then pass these on to their respective insurance companies. This should not be done if liability is disputed, and under no circumstances should this be done if any of the following conditions apply:

  • If one of the drivers is drunk
  • If the other driver is not the owner of the car
  • If the driver is a minor
  • If one of the drivers is not the owner of the vehicle and is using the car for professional purposes on behalf of the owner of the vehicle
  • If there is a severely injured person

Learn more about what to do in the event of a car accident (website in Spanish).