Leaving Costa Rica with a Pet

Information about the restrictions and requirements when leaving Costa Rica with an animal…

A Costa Rican veterinarian needs to supply a health certificate for the animal, which is similar to the health certificate needed to bring an animal into the country. An export permit is also required. This can be obtained from the Costa Rican National Service for Animal Health (Servicio Nacional de Salud Animal - SENASA).

It is also necessary to comply with the import regulations of the country to which the animal is traveling.

Specific requirements for a number of countries can be found below: