Consular Services for Foreign Residents of Costa Rica
Information on the services and assistance available, including the replacement of lost or stolen passports, for expats from the UK, USA and Canada from their embassies and consulates in Costa Rica...
Most countries have an embassy or a consular office to deal with matters affecting their own nationals living in or visiting the country.
The British Embassy's role is to provide advice, support and assistance to British citizens living in or visiting Costa Rica. The Embassy, which has full consular services, is located in San José.
- British Embassy in San José
At: Edificio Centro Colón, (Piso/floor 11), San José
Tel: 2258 2025
Open: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: 10:00-12:00; Tuesday and Wednesday 14:00-15:00
The following services are provided by the Embassy in San José:
- Help and assistance in the event of becoming a victim of crime
- A list of local lawyers
- Information on health care and a list of local doctors
- Travel advice including information on safety and security, health and local customs
- Assistance in the case of arrest, accident or illness
- Advice on financial transfers
- Retirement advice
- Information on using mobile phones in the country
- Notarial services
The UK government's GOV.UK website provides information online for Britons considering moving abroad and for those already there. It includes tax, health and education advice as well as a section on what to do when returning to the UK.
Applications for a new British passport cannot be made at the Embassy. They should be made through HM Passport Office in the UK.
- For information on how to apply for a British passport while in Costa Rica: Click here
The United States maintains an embassy in San José for the benefit of all US citizens in the country.
- US Embassy in Costa Rica
At: Calle 120 Avenida 0, Pavas, San José
Tel: 2519 2000
Open: Monday to Friday 08:00-16:30
The Embassy provides the following services for US citizens living in or visiting Costa Rica:
- Notarial services
- Assistance in an emergency
- Documenting the birth of any children who qualify as US citizens
- A list of licensed attorneys and lawyers and medical service providers in the country
- Advice on safety and security in the country
- Information on dealing with natural disasters
Passport services for US citizens
The following passport services are available at the Embassy: passport renewal, application for a US passport, additional pages for a current passport and replacement passports. All passport services are available by appointment only.
- For more information on passport services and making an appointment: Click here
Canadian citizens have access to consular services in Costa Rica at their country's embassy in San José. This embassy also provides consular services for the Republics of Honduras and Nicaragua.
- Canadian Embassy in San José
At: Oficentro Ejecutivo La Sabana, Building 5, Third floor, Centro Colón, San José
Tel: 2242 4400
Open: Monday to Friday 08:00-12:00
The Embassy's consular services section provides the following services:
- Help for Canadians experiencing difficulties in Costa Rica
- Legalization of documents
- Canadian citizenship services
- Passport services
- Information on doing business with Costa Rica
- Advice on how to register a birth