Road Traffic Accidents

Information on what to do if you are involved in a car accident in Costa Rica. Find out who to call and how to fill in the accident report...

In the event of a road traffic accident, the driver should contact the National Insurance Institute (Instituto Nacional de Seguros - INS) who will advise on the procedure to follow.

  • Tel: 800 800 8000

The traffic police (Tel: 911) should also be contacted and the parties involved should wait for the officials to arrive to write an accident report. It is important that the cars are not moved before the officials arrive.

If necessary, private tow trucks will be notified to take the damaged cars to an auto-repair garage or to the owner's house.

In Costa Rica, it is fairly common in the case of minor car accidents for one or both of the parties to suggest that they handle repairs without calling the authorities. If this is the case, each driver should determine what this entails in terms of payment and follow-up, making sure to exchange insurance and ID information and take the names of any witnesses.

Accidents can be reported up to five days after the accident took place, but delaying the process may result in a diminished coverage.

To follow-up on the status of the accident report, contact the INS, Tel: 800 800 8000.