Insuring a Vehicle in Cyprus

General information about insurance policies in Cyprus, with details on insuring a vehicle (options from third party to all risks) and making a claim...

Under EU law all vehicles driving in member states must have at least third party liability insurance. It is obligatory for a vehicle owner to take out insurance against personal injury and material damage caused by their vehicle. This guarantee covers all the passengers in the vehicle including members of family. All European countries (and some others) are signatories to the Green Card System (International Motor Insurance Certificate). The Green Card or the insurance certificate issued by the insurer constitutes a proof of third party insurance. An insurance policy may optionally be extended to include insurance against fire, theft, special assistance and more. There are two basic types of policy available; third party and comprehensive. Third party covers the liability of the driver to passengers and other people affected by an incident. Third party insurance is the minimum obligatory cover under Cypriot law to ensure that compensation can be paid to victims of an accident. Comprehensive insurance (more expensive than third party) also covers the driver's damages and compensation whether they are responsible or not. Breakdown cover is often included in a policy. Drivers should always read the conditions of their policy carefully. Cyprus is signatory to the Multilateral Guarantee Agreement (MGA). Vehicles legally registered and insured in signatory states (which include all EU countries) are automatically legally insured in Cyprus. The MGA, also known as the "Registration Agreement" and "Number-Plate Agreement", replaces the requirement to carry the Green Card.

Car Accidents

In the event of an accident with another vehicle take the other driver's details at the scene, name, address and insurance details as well as the make, model and colour of the vehicle. If in doubt as to the circumstances, do not move the vehicles and call the police on 112 or 199. If there are injuries call for medical assistance. Contact the insurance company as soon as possible as they will be able to assist with potential costs and claims.

Related Information