Permits for EU Nationals

Information about the procedure to be followed for EU nationals wishing to work in Cyprus…

Citizens of any European Union (EU) member country can freely enter Cyprus if they have a valid passport. In order to remain in the country for more than three months, or to work, they need to do the following:

  • Apply for an Alien Registration Certificate (ARC) within eight days of arrival in Cyprus. This is done at a local immigration branch of the Police. There is a fee for the application
  • Apply for a social insurance number
  • Apply for a residence permit. This must be done within three months of arriving in the country. Applications must be made in person to the Civil Registration and Migration Department through the local immigration branch of the Police. The following documents are required:
    • A valid passport or identity card
    • Two passport photos
    • A document showing that the individual has been engaged in employment. The letter of employment must be stamped by the Labour Department and show the employer's code of economic activity. Note: A different type of permit should be applied for by people who are self-employed. The procedure is the same

All necessary forms can be obtained from the Civil Registry and Migration Department, the Ministry of the Interior and from the local immigration branch of the Police. Forms are also available from the Cyprus Visa website.

Residence permits are issued within six months of an application being made. An applicant can begin employment before all the formalities are completed providing their application has been made within the given time limits.

A resident work permit is valid for five years. When the permit is renewed it may be restricted to one year if the applicant has been unemployed for more than 12 consecutive months. If they remain unemployed at the end of the new permit period of one year the permit is not renewed.

Regulated professions

Some professions such as doctors, lawyers, electricians, accountants and engineers are regulated in Cyprus. People from other EU member states who wish to move to the island and work in these professions need to apply for the relevant permit from the authority overseeing that profession in the same way as Cypriot nationals do.

For more visit the 'Migration' section of the Ministry of Interior