Residency in Denmark for EU and Nordic Citizens

Find out how to register to live in Denmark as a European or Scandinavian citizen…

Nordic Citizens

Citizens of Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden are free to enter and live in Denmark without a work or residence permit. A passport is not required. They must be able to provide proof of identity if required, for example a driver's licence or bank card.
  • Further information for Nordic citizens is available on the New to Denmark website

Registration Certificate: EU/EEA/Swiss Nationals

EU/EEA and Swiss citizens may stay in Denmark for up to three months or up to six months if seeking work. If they are planning to stay longer they must apply for a Registration Certificate in order to stay freely in Denmark. The application must be submitted within three months of arrival - or within six months if seeking work. An EU/EEA or Swiss citizen or national is able to get a Registration Certificate if they:
  • Are in paid employment in Denmark
  • Are self-employed
  • Perform or receive services in Denmark
  • Are students on a course leading to professional qualifications (sufficient funds to cover the cost of stay must be shown)
  • Have the income or means to support themselves
To get an EU/EEA registration certificate it is necessary to complete an application form from the local Regional State Administration office or from the Danish Immigration website. They must then go in person to the local Citizen Service Centre (Borgerservice) with the following documents:
  • Completed application form
  • Employment contract stating salary and dates of employment or proof of income or means to support themselves
  • Two passport photographs
  • Identification such as passport
  • For more information about how to apply from the New in Denmark Website
Registration Certificates do not have an expiry date. After five years of continued residence in Denmark, EU citizens may apply for a certificate of right to permanent residence. The Danish Immigration service has an EU hotline for EU/EEA citizens, providing information and advice on the rights of EU citizens under the regulations for the free movement of EU nationals.

EU Hotline Tel: 35 30 88 80, Monday 09:00-12:00 and Wednesday 12:00-15:00                   email                Website

Family Reunification

Non-EU family members (spouse, children under the age of 21, registered partner or cohabitant) of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens may apply for a residence permit for the purpose of family reunification. The EU citizen must be able to prove that they have established genuine residence in Denmark, for example proof of registration with the local authorities or tenancy agreement.

  • For further information on the conditions applicable for family reunification visit the New in Denmark website