Accidents and Breakdown

Find out what to do in the event of an accident or breakdown on Danish roads…

The emergency number for police, ambulance and fire services is 112. The non-emergency number for police is 114.

Anyone involved in an accident in Denmark must stop at the scene. Under Danish law all accidents involving any personal injury or dispute must be reported to the local police. The vehicle should not be moved unless it is in a dangerous position which might lead to another accident.

A police report is required by insurance companies to file a claim. It is normally required to exchange insurance details and addresses with the other drivers involved in the accident. If possible, take pictures of the accident scene for police and insurance purposes. Police also usually require those drivers involved in an accident to take a breathalyser test or blood test to check levels of alcohol in the blood. Any drink driving offence incurs strict penalties in Denmark.

Recovery/Breakdown Companies

Many European breakdown companies operate breakdown services in Denmark such as the AA, European Breakdown Cover, and the RAC. The Danish Motoring Organisation (Forenede Danske Motorejere - FDM) can provide non-emergency assistance as well as mechanical and legal assistance.

  • For more information on services provided: Click here (in Danish)

Falck is a breakdown company providing emergency assistance throughout Scandinavia, including Denmark.