Car Insurance and Insuring a Vehicle in Denmark

General information on the types of Danish vehicle insurance available: details on insuring a vehicle (options from third party to all risks) and making a claim...

In Denmark all cars must be covered by compulsory third party liability insurance, which covers injury and/or damage that may be caused to other people or their property. By law, all vehicles must have liability insurance before they can be registered.

Types of Car Insurance

  1. Third party insurance  - ansvarsforsikring
  2. Comprehensive insurance, covering loss or damage to the car - kascoforsikring
It is generally not possible to arrange Danish car insurance for vehicles registered in another country. The vehicle should be imported and registered in Denmark within 14 days of arrival if taking up residence in Denmark, or within 14 days of obtaining a CPR number (personal identification number).

Purchasing Car Insurance

Car insurance premiums vary, and there is a wide range in price for similar products offering the same level of cover. It is therefore advisable to obtain a number of quotes before choosing a company. There are a number of websites (in Danish) to compare car insurance prices, these include: Each insurance company has their own system of no-claims policy, where premiums are reduced if no insurance claims have been made in the past. Check with the chosen insurance company whether they can transfer a no claims bonus from overseas to a Danish policy. If this is possible, proof of no claims bonus from the previous insurer is required.

Accidents and Making a Claim

In the event of an accident, full insurance details should be collected from everybody involved so that when a claim is made as much detail as possible can be provided. The following information is needed:
  • Names and addresses of all drivers involved in the accident
  • Driving licence number
  • Insurance details of every driver involved
  • Number plates of the vehicles involved
  • Details of the vehicles involved (make, model).
  • Photos of the scene (if possible)
Insurance companies generally provide a standard accident report/claim form (Skadesanmeldelse) that can be used in the event of an accident. In the case of a traffic accident, the police should be called via 112.   An insurance claim can be submitted online on the insurance company's website or by telephone. Claims must be made within six months of the accident. Most Danish insurance companies have English speaking personnel.

Cancelling Car Insurance

Car insurance policies should be cancelled in writing, sent by registered mail. There are no cancellation fees due if the policy is cancelled when the policy expires. Penalties may apply if cancelling at any other time, check the required notice with the insurance company or on the contract.