Registering the Birth in Dubai
How to register a birth in Dubai and how to get a passport and residency visa for your baby...
All births must be registered within 30 days. A notification of birth certificate is issued in Arabic by the hospital where the baby is born. This must be attested by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Ministry of Health has a counter at Al Baraha Hospital.
The following documents are required
- Passport with residence permits of both parents (original and copy)
- Copy of the attested marriage certificate
- Discharge summary of the mother and child, issued by the hospital where the birth took place
- The government in Dubai provides detailed information on how to register the birth of the baby: Click here
Getting a Passport
All foreign residents are advised to check with their Embassy before the birth to determine the rules and regulations for citizens born abroad.
Parents should register their child at their Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible. The Embassy will have its own birth registration form and will ask to see the Arabic birth certificate (and sometimes the English one). They will need to bring both parents' passports, marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate. The birth will then be registered and a passport issued for the child.
Parents can also apply for a birth certificate from their own country if they wish.
- The British Embassy in Dubai has detailed information on how to register the birth of a British National born in Dubai: Click here
- The US Consular General in Dubai has information on how to report a birth in Dubai when at least one of the parents is a US citizen: Click here
Once the passport is issued, parents should apply for a residence visa for the child.
Getting a Residency Visa
The application for a residency visa for the newborn must be done within 120 days from the date of birth. Failure to do so can lead to a daily fine.
To apply, parents must supply the following documents:
- Application form
- Original and a copy of the baby's birth certificate (which must have been attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
- Baby's passport
- 3 passport sized photos of the baby
- Original and a copy of the attested marriage certificate
- Passport copy of the sponsor
- Copy of an employment contract for the sponsor or a salary certificate
Once the application form has been completed at a certified typing office, go to the residency section at the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs with the documents. The baby's passport and the residency visa will be returned by post.
- General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs
Tel: 800 5111
- The procedure to follow is described in detail on the Dubai Government portal: Click here