Expatriate and Local English Media in Dubai
A world of information, both local and global - in English. The local and international English-language print and broadcast media that is available to you if you live in Dubai...
There are various options for English language media in Dubai, including newspapers and magazine, television and radio.
There are several English-language newspapers widely distributed throughout Dubai. International magazine titles and local specialist publications are also available.
Most major publications are available online as well as in print. For a more portable digital version, apps like the Mail Plus App from the UK's Daily Mail Group allow the latest news to be read on a phone or tablet, often for a much less than the cost of a subscription.
The following English-language newspapers are available in Dubai:
- The National: comprehensive coverage of news, business, sport, culture and lifestyle in the UAE. Also reports on international news. Available daily
- 7 Days: free newspaper covering business, sport, lifestyle and general news, with an emphasis on local and regional reporting. Also known for investigative reporting on local hot topics
- Gulf News: in-depth coverage of local and international news, entertainment, business, lifestyle, sport and travel. Publishes popular online classifieds - website GNAds4U.com
Alongside internationally distributed magazine titles such as Esquire, Harper's Bazaar, Hello! and Men's Fitness, there is a wide variety of English-language magazines published regionally.
Specialist magazines printed in limited runs (and usually distributed free) are available at various outlets.
- Dubai Voyager: Official magazine of Dubai Duty Free and Dubai International Airport, publishes information on local events and entertainment in Dubai, as well as special offers at Dubai Duty Free
- Jumeirah Magazine: Lifestyle magazine distributed to guests of hotels within the Jumeirah hotel group
- Open Skies: Official inflight magazine of Emirates Airlines
- Portfolio: Exclusive inflight magazine for First and Business class passengers of Emirates Airlines
- Souk: Official magazine of Souk Madinat Jumeirah, reports on shops, restaurants and events happening at the souk
- Spinneys Food: Official magazine of Spinneys supermarket has food-related features. Distributed at Spinneys Supermarkets
Television in English
Cable television is broadcast by government-owned telecommunications providers, Du and Etisalat (E-Vision). Both offer similar packages that include popular international news programmes, including Al Jazeera, BBC World, CNBC, CNN, France 24 and Sky News.
Currently, residents do not have the option to choose between Du and Etisalat (E-Vision). The cable provider is assigned to a property according to its location.
Programming available on TV is frequently changing. Basic and premium channel packages such as OSN (Orbit Showtime Network), Firstnet, and Pehla (Asian channels) are available by subscription.
- For the full listing of packages and channels on offer from Etisalat: Click here
- For packages and channels available with Du: Click here
Radio in English
There are several radio stations that serve Dubai, although the music selection lacks variety. Most stations play various forms of pop and rock music. For a wider variety, listening to online radio is the best option.
- Channel 4 FM - 104.8: Hit music and internationally syndicated radio programming
- Coast - 103.2: Adult hits, soft rock, pop music and internationally syndicated radio programming
- Dubai 92 - 92.0 FM: Hit music and internationally syndicated radio programming
- Dubai Eye - 103.8 FM: Music and talk radio station features current affairs, business and finance, lifestyle, sport and entertainment programmes and on-air live musical performances
- Emirates Radio 1 FM - 104.1 FM: Pop, dance and R&B music
- Emirates Radio 2 FM - 99.3: Adult hits, soft rock and pop music
- Hit 96.7 - 96.7 FM: Pop music
- Virgin Radio Dubai - 104.4 FM: Hit music and syndicated radio programming
Most radio stations around the world broadcast radio programming online.
- For a listing of radio stations in Dubai and the other Emirates: Click here and search "Dubai"
Radio on the Internet: English-language stations online
- For a full list of online stations throughout the world, see Radio Locator
- To see a list of the many stations available, see Mike's Radio World, Live 365, Streema Online Radio Stations and Broadcast Live
- BBC Radio
- Voice of America's NewsNow
- ABC News
- CBC Radio (Canada)
- RTE (Republic of Ireland)
- Yahoo music