Residency Visas for Family Members
How to apply for visas for your spouse and children, as well as the procedure to obtain residency for a newborn child...
Employers may also process residence visas for the spouse and children of an employee. Valid residence visa holders may sponsor a spouse and/or children providing they meet the minimum salary requirement of AED 3,000 per month (with paid accommodation) or AED 4,000 per month (without paid accommodation). Sponsoring a parent requires a higher minimum salary (AED 10,000 per month) and may require a deposit.
Generally, women may sponsor their spouse and children if they fall within the following professional categories: doctor, lawyer, nurse and teacher. If a woman is not employed in one of these categories, she may still be approved to sponsor her family based on her salary and with special permission from DNRD.
Upon entry into the UAE, family members have 30 days to process their residence visa.
The following documents are required:
- Application form
- Multiple passport-size photos of each family member to be sponsored
- Original and copy of passports and entry visas for the sponsor, spouse and other family members being sponsored
- Original valid medical certificate for spouse and children over 15 years old
- Copy of the sponsor's employment contract or salary certificate
- Copy of the sponsor's valid residence permit
- Copy of marriage certificate attested by the country where the marriage took place
- Copy of birth certificate for children
- Application fees
If the family is already in the country, complete steps 4 to 6 below. If the family is not yet in the country, complete all the steps below.
- Take the application form to an authorised typing office (or DNRD) to be typed in Arabic and pay fees
- Submit all required documents to DNRD to receive an entry visa
- Deposit the original entry permit at the airport's visa counter for the family to collect
- Sign up for a medical exam at a government clinic
- Take all required documents to the medical exam and pay a fee
- Return to DNRD once the medical certificate is received to receive the residence visa
- For more information about the medical exam: Click here
- To find a government medical centre: Click here
Residence Visas for Newborns
The application for a residency visa for a newborn must be done within 120 days from the date of birth. Failure to do so can lead to a daily fine.
To apply, parents must supply the following documents:
- Application form
- Original and a copy of the baby's birth certificate. For a child born in Dubai, this must be in English and Arabic, attested by the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For a child born outside of Dubai, it must be in English and attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Baby's passport
- Three passport sized photos of the baby
- Original and copy of the attested marriage certificate
- Copy of passport and residence visa of the sponsor
- Copy of an employment contract for the sponsor or a salary certificate
Once the application form has been completed at a certified typing office, go to the residency section at the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs with the documents. The baby's passport and the residency visa will be returned by post.
The procedure to follow is described in detail on the Dubai Government portal: Click here