Home Schooling in France
Understand the legalities of home schooling your children in France...
Home schooling in France has been legal since December 1998; annual registration is compulsory. A declaration must be made each year at the Mairie of the place of residence and at the school inspectorate (inspecteur d’académie or rectorat). For children from the age of six to sixteen in home schooling an annual visit will be made by the school inspector (inspecteur d’académie) and at a minimum every two years by the mairie. In the event of two unsatisfactory inspections, the parents can be ordered to send the child to school. In the event of a change of address, a declaration must be made at the mairie of the place of residence within eight days of the move.
- Learn more about home schooling
- Good command of written and spoken French
- French literature
- Principles of mathematics
- One foreign language
- Basics of science and technology
- Basics of history and geography of France, Europe and the rest of the world
- Artistic education