Importing a Vehicle From a Non-European Union Country

Taxes and registration requirements for vehicles from non EU (European Union) countries...

No duty is payable on a used vehicle imported for personal use, provided that all customs fees and taxes due were paid in the country of origin and that the vehicle has belonged to the registered owner for over six months, and that they were resident outside the EU for at least 12 months.

The process is as follows:

  1. Take the vehicle's original registration documents and receipt of sale to the Centre des Impots. A fiscal certificate or tax clearance form is issued. There are customs and tax charges payable, depending on the age/mileage of the car. A certificat de dédouanement 846A is issued.
  2. Register the vehicle online via the Agence Nationale Des Titres Securisées - ANTS

How to register the vehicle online

All vehicles imported into France must be registered within one month of becoming resident.

All vehicle registrations are now done online via the ANTS website. This agency is responsible for issuing French car registration documents; each vehicle requires a Certificat d’Immatriculation, more commonly known as the Carte Grise. 

Once you are on the page Autre demande,


  • Immatriculer un vehcule pour une première fois en France under Catégorie

Then select

  • Immatriculer un Véhicule en provenance de l'étranger under Sous-Catégorie

The following documents will need to be provided (scanned copies or photos):

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of residence (property title deeds, rental contract, utility bill, insurance certificate)
  • A copy of the foreign registration certificate or proof of ownership of the vehicle
  • Copy of the attestation de conformité (issued by the manufacturer or their agent) OR a certificate of conformity issued by DREAL (Direction régionale de l'environnement et l'aménagement et du logement) OR Attestation RTI (Reception à Titre Isolé) from DREAL.
  • A copy of the certificate of purchase and customs clearance certificate (issued by the Centre des Impots)
  • French Côntrole technique certificate if the car is more than four years old; this must have occurred less than six months previously (two months if a contre-visite or re-test is required)
  • Certificat de dédouanement 846 A
  • Cerfa Form13750*07


Updated 30/09/2020